Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Staying Inside The Wake


My first sport ever was water skiing. At age five (maybe four) I tried and got up on two skis. Back then, that was the only water sport you could do behind a boat. A few years later I mastered a slalom ski and enjoyed cutting in and out of the wake, determined to show my brother up!

Today there are so many floating devices for boats to pull, from wake boards, surf boards, to banana boats, and now there is a “kite like” thing that can actually lift you in the air!!

Emeline has taken to water sports like her mama, we have even skied together at the same time, one my favorite things to do with my own mother when I was a little girl.

Recently I was elected the “watcher” on the boat to cheer on the next generation of water skiers, surfers, wake boarders, and fliers!! It was Emeline's turn and she decided to do the wake board. The board positions you sideways and wants you to ride the wake. As the boat pulled Emeline out of the water, she popped out sideways, and sure enough the board wanted to go out of the wake. I could immediately tell she did not want to do that and fought to stay behind the boat inside the wake where the water was calmer. Unfortunately the board won and took her flying outside the wake where it was much rougher and harder to control her balance.

As I watched Emeline fight to hang in there outside the wake with lots of waves, I thought how the boat represents God and we represent the skier or boarder. Staying behind the boat and allowing it to “cut” the waves makes skiing much easier. Allowing God to carry our burdens for us and direct our path in life makes our journey much smoother and peaceful.

Emeline’s favorite verse helps her at night along with praying when she is afraid. She memorizes it and recites it often. I pray she will always seek God for help in times of trouble, and allow Jesus to “cut” the waves of life for her.

“I will sleep in peace, for You alone oh Lord make me dwell in safety”. Psalm 4:8

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

No comments: