Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Baby Is Growing Up!


This week I have been trying to remember not to forget Zachary’s birthday. For some reason I can rattle off Emeline and Sam’s birthday, but when I am asked Zachary’s birth date there is always a pause…….9-6-01!! (oooops, I mean 02!!)

Having three babies in three years was not an easy task.

I lived most of my life single and a career woman, getting married in my late thirties. After several miscarriages we had Emeline. Less then a year later we were surprised to find out that we were having our second child (Sam). Not really sure whether we were done and me feeling like my biological clock was ticking away, we decided to try for one more. I had a cut off time for how long I wanted to try and prayed for God to answer that question based on my cut off date (I know, pretty bold of me). The cut off date came and went and I wasn’t pregnant. It was a New Year’s Day (in the shower) that I resolved my life to being o.k. with two children. I thanked God for Emeline and Sam and I was ready to settle into being happy with and blessed to have just them. God had different plans!

My calculations were wrong. After a positive pregnancy test and rushing to the doctor’s office to be monitored for my “high risk” miscarriage status, I said out loud to all the nurses, “I have no idea how this happened, I’m not supposed to be pregnant!!” I can only imagine how ridiculous I must have sounded.

Nine months later and six years ago today Zachary came into the world, my third child. While I was pregnant I was sure I was having a girl, after all, the Lord knew I would be a better girl’s mom then a boy’s mom. Again, God had different plans.

I have not recovered jumping from child #2 to child #3. I’ve read and heard several accounts of families having numerous children yet it was the jump from #2 to #3 that was the most difficult, especially when having them so close to each other.

I stand in awe of women with three or more children that seem to have survived this phase in life. God has been so good to have blessed me with several dear friends who have high energy children, especially boys! There’s a certain bond I feel with women who “get” the boy thing. One thing is for sure, laughter is absolute key to our sanity!! None of these women act like they have it all together, WE KNOW WE DON’T!! We’re just thankful to get from one day to the next with God’s grace and wisdom!!

Sometimes I think back to my talk with God and being settled with two children. Gosh, I can’t imagine my life without Zachary, he has been such a blessing in our lives. He’s quite a character and raises many eye brows, but I’m use to that by now having two other imperfect children. We pray as Zachary grows and matures he will see a need for Jesus in his life. If he can grasp that…..he’ll be just fine.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.: Prverbs 22:6

Happy Birthday Zachary!! We love you so much!!!

Blessings,

Debbie

3 comments:

acb news said...

a cute heart mom, you are ! every one can know all of about you by reading this post.

cancersucks said...

What a great birth story. I have a girl and then two boys. I, too thought my third was a girl. But our little guy is a real firecracker. I am enjoying your blog!

Sharon Sloan said...

Happy Birthday, Zachary! The Sloans love you! :)

Women acting like they have it all together...oh my! Motherhood quickly puts an end to that. Great book "Behind Those Eyes" by Lisa Whittle talks about women keeping it real! Gotta cherish friends who keep it real! What sweet blessings!

I find motherhood, by God's pure grace and wisdom, keeps me humble, completely dependent on Him and continually on my knees. God is faithful to keep us looking unto Him!

We love you, Zack! :)