Monday, September 8, 2008

"A Boy's Best Bird"


Most people talk abut a “Man’s Best Friend”, the dog, but it really should be called “Women’s Best friend”, don’t you think? After all, it’s us gals that really take the brunt of responsibility when it comes to our beloved pets. Sure, my dog is cute, but I don’t need another “Best Friend”!

Sam worked long and hard over the summer being tutored to keep him academically strong for the start of second grade. We talked about a special reward at the end of the summer after he concluded all the hours of reading and writing. All Sam wanted was a bird to take care of and be “his best friend”.

Sam struggles sometimes with social skills and can be rough with kids his own age, not intentional of course, Sam has the biggest heart. Children his age don’t always see how special Sam is.

A few years ago one of our much loved babysitters brought her new baby for us to meet. She lovingly placed the tiny baby in Sam’s arms (sitting down of course!). We were all blown away to see my high energy, impulsive boy behave so responsibly, lovingly, and tenderly toward this baby. From then on Sam has always been so sweet with little babies and pets (I wish I could say the same for my six year old!)

I was not anxious to acquire another pet in my family, but I knew this was a good step for Sam.

Three weeks ago Charlie the Parakeet came home to live with us (we don’t really know if he is a boy or girl, how do you tell?). He was a gift from Sam’s tutor, my mom. Watching my son take care of this bird is just precious. Yes, of course the first few days he got out of his cage and was flying all over the house with me screaming “This is not acceptable, I knew this would happen!!” Recently I walked into Sam’s room and saw him sitting on his bed with Charlie in his cage on the bed playing the guitar. Now, Sam does not know how to play the guitar but he played with all his heart to bless his best friend Charlie.

On the way out to school the other day Sam requested, “Mom please spend time with Charlie today, he’ll miss me.” The good mom I try to be, there I was chirping upstairs in Sam’s room at Charlie with the dog looking up at me as if he was saying “What in the world are you doing?”

Ah, the things we do for our children, and yes, for our pets too.

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

No comments: