Thursday, August 28, 2008

Last summer "Hoo-Rah" for the Summer gang!


With an abundance of Southwest frequent flier tickets, Steve graciously agreed to let the kids and I take a multi-city trip with three connecting stops in Chicago!! First we went to Oregon to visit a dear friend, then Indiana to visit cousins.

I’m convinced I was born and raised to travel, it’s in my blood! Traveling for business was easy for me and afforded me the privilege to see many of the states as well as Europe. As a business woman I boarded a plane wearing a typical black suit with a newspaper and cup of coffee in my hand.

Traveling with kids is much different. I spent days thinking, preparing and brain storming how to entertain three high energy kids flying across the country with three two hour stops in Chicago!! I had every electronic piece of equipment charged and ready to go. Every time we stopped in Chicago we ran for all the outlets we could find to recharge our entertainment devices! I also brought reading books, activity books and puzzles. Since the airlines did away with serving food I had a cooler of snacks and sandwiches to keep all the bellies full until we got to our destination! While in Chicago we found the McDonald’s. By our third visit they knew and recognized our patronage.

I knew traveling on six airplanes in eight days could have thrown me right over the edge. Looking back I think there were a few angels God provided along the way. Whether it was a grandma sitting next to Sam commenting how utterly charming he was, or a teenager from Bend Oregon starting off in the window seat (from Chicago) and switching to the middle seat to have my boys on either side of her so she could talk to them, I knew God was watching over us and going before us. Many came up to me (especially in Chicago!) to tell me how well behaved my children are (IMAGINE THAT!!). I was proud of them all.

Our trip was filled with many memories. Portland Oregon is beautiful and majestic with the mountains. Climbing in and around water falls was breath taking. Zachary will not forget the day he helped rescue a dog missing for days stuck in a stream. Sam enjoyed meeting all the dogs in the neighborhood and their owners at the park each day. Emeline picked blackberries and learned how to make a pie with my friend Bridget. Stopping in Indiana on the way home for a few days to visit the cousins was, as usual a blast. My parents met us there as well. Going to the lake house is like a little Disney World for the kids. My boys love to ride the quads and motorcycles while Emeline is all about the water sports.

The best part of the trip was being with friends and family we love so dearly. Sure, we did a lot fun things but it is the love and acceptance of my gang that means more to me then the place and activities.

After eight days we were ready to come home. Like Emeline says, “Being away is so much fun, but home is the number one place to be!”

To Bridget, my sister, and all the angels along the way – THANK YOU and WE LOVE YOU! You made our last Hoo-Rah a BLAST!!!!

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: