Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Follow The Bus


Many years ago I attended a home bible study with mostly married people. I was single and traveling with my job, marriage and a family was no where in sight for me. One of the women with younger children at the time told me every year on the first day of school she follows the bus after her kids get on, all the way to school. That sounded like one of the funniest things I had ever heard. I couldn’t believe someone would do that!

All these years later, now having three young children I follow the bus to school on the first day!! People laugh when I tell them what I do but I’m happy to know how safe the driver appears, and how well the children seem to behave.

Having my two boys on the bus keeps me reserved thinking they’ll ride all year long. Keeping their hands to themselves is not something they do well. Wrestling has become their favorite sport when they’re together. Sure, I tried to put the fear of God in them, telling them there is a “no touch” rule on the bus and they must both sit behind the driver in separate seats. If they choose to fight on the bus, they will regret making that decision when they come home!

This is the first year all three kids are on the bus, and I love the thought of not having to run back and forth to school. My heart is a little sad with the start of school, we had such an awesome summer together. I was rarely without at least one or two of them all summer long, I’m missing them already!! Right now my companions are the dog (ICE) and the parakeet (Charlie).

Taking the bus for my kids is an act of independence. They know I will gladly drive them to school but I think in their own way they know much about life and how to get along can be learned on the bus. We’ve had our share of “issues”, but we handle each situation as a teaching tool and of course, pull them off the bus if they can’t behave themselves!!

I can’t wait until Bob (the bus driver) returns them home safely so I can kiss their cute little faces!!

Happy back to school week!!!

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: