Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Yes, That Would Be Me!"

Yesterday morning I opened up the freezer, and to my surprise instead of feeling cold air, I sensed warmer air! Anyone who has been to my house knows we have a very large freezer and it just so happened to be packed! Unsure of what to do, I e-mailed my husband. He advised to keep the freezer closed and he contacted an appliance service man.

By the time Steve came home the freezer was room temperature and food had already been spoiled. We packed up a large cooler of meats to take to Steve’s office and utilized a neighbor’s extra freezer for over flow as well. “What could be wrong with it?’ we wondered. It’s a Sub Zero, and they’re supposed to last forever!!

Today Carl the Appliance man showed up to fix our freezer. I was glad to see him, soon the problem would be solved!

“It’s a shame your husband decided to turn the freezer off” were Carl’s words. He needed to see the freezer running to diagnose the problem. He suggested we turn it back on and leave it on for twenty four hours and then he would come back. I suggested we get Steve on the phone and talk to him about this. “I didn’t turn the freezer off!” were Steve’s words.

Being the mother of my two boys, I immediately knew one of them had something to do with this! Someone had turned off the freezer! Steve and I were utterly embarrassed that neither one of us thought to check to see if the freezer was shut off, “Who would do such a thing?”

After writing a check to Carl for the service call, he went on his way with a good story to tell his family I’m sure!! I couldn’t wait to speak to the boys when they got off the bus!!

When Sam and Zachary arrived home I asked them to go stand in front of the freezer. I opened it up and showed them the dial which turns the system on. “Did someone touch this dial?”. Zachary’s arm shot right up like he was in a classroom and said “Yes, that would be me!”

When situations like this happen in life it can ruin the day. Yes, it was annoying, but I chose to be thankful for a husband that came and helped me manage it all, and having neighbors to chip in and let us crowd their freezer! We all had a laugh and learned a good lesson. If the freezer isn’t working, check the dial to make sure one of the boys didn’t turn it off while getting a Klondike Bar!!

“Let us think about each other and help each other to show love and do good deeds”. Hebrews 10:24

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Debbie,

I washed my car today and sadly washed the little foot print belonging to Zachary that was planted in the middle of my rear window. For the last month everytime I look in the rear view mirror I see this precious footprint. It reminds me of Zach and how we contorted his body to get his foot there on the way home from hiking. What a great week we had. Tell the kids I can't wait till they come again. love you all.