Monday, September 22, 2008

"Hand-Me-Downs"

Coming from a career in apparel as well as interior design, I would like to think I have at some point in my life developed a tad bit of style. Actually, the way trends go today, you can wear just about anything with an updated accessory and you’re good to go!

Having a daughter, I had high hopes of her looking to me for fashion tips. I couldn’t wait until she was older so we could shop together.

Since Emeline was a young girl she made it clear to me she did not want to be a “girly” girl. I was o.k. with that. Recently she respectfully told me her style was not my style and just because I liked something doesn’t necessarily mean she likes it. I was o.k. with that too, but taking this gal shopping has turned into a nightmare! First, she can’t make up her mind. Everything I suggest is sure to be turned down. I remember my mother telling me how difficult it was to spend money on clothes for me she thought were ugly!! I can only hope and pray I was half as respectful to my mother about it all as my daughter is to me.

Having a girlfriend’s daughter’s "hand-me-downs" has been a huge blessing. This comes from a teenager Emeline looks up to, so her clothes are welcome. Yesterday we went through a large bag of clothes and it was better then Christmas!

As I went through each garment there was something special about sharing in someone else’s past. Watching a fine young girl grow up, loving Jesus, making good choices, having a bible study in her school. Wow, I pray my daughter has that bold spirit about her! In a silly sort of way I was blessed financially and honored spiritually that Emeline would wear the clothes of such a fine teenager!

We have been blessed with so many teenagers (boys and girls) setting Godly examples to my children for years now. Loving life, working towards goals, yet never loosing the need for Jesus in their lives.

Thank you to all the young people out there who have made a positive impact on my children’s lives, for loving them just they way they are! Their lives are richer today for knowing you!! We love you all!!

“And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means loose my reward”. Matthew 10:42

Sweet Dreams,

Debbie

No comments: