Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Do They Have a Vaccine For That?

Just yesterday morning I had breakfast with a friend and my mother, and the subject of “Telling your kids about SEX” came up! Having a nine year old daughter, many of us parents are buzzing about the subject, wondering when is a good time and what on earth do we say? I’ve personally listened to tapes, called and spoken to counselors at Focus on the Family http://www.focusonthefamily.com/, read books on the subject, and talked to my “wise” girlfriends! The experts advise to start talking to your child when the “window of opportunity” opens. “Wade into the waters and see what the response is”. How are we supposed to know what that all looks like?

We have friends that have already had “The talk”. Some of the stories could keep me laughing for weeks!! I’m so glad God has a sense of humor and we can too when it comes to all this!!

There have been a few small opportunities that I have tried to “Wade into the water” with Emeline. I bought a recommended American Girl Doll book about her body. Absolutely no interest! I was shocked! Doesn’t she want to know how her body is going to start to change? Nope!

Emeline has always been a very alert, “street wise” kind of girl for her age with good social skills. Surely she must have more knowledge then she is letting on to, and when she is ready she will open up about it.

Last night I had all three kids in the car. Emeline 9, Sam 7, and Zachary 6. The subject of Chicken Pox came up which lead to vaccines, and somehow we moved over to talking about babies. “How do babies come out of your belly?” asked Zachary. “Through your privates”, was my reply. Emeline assured us all she was not going to have any children. “Of course you will. Some day you’ll get married and want to have a family” I encouraged her. “No mommy, I don’t want to have any kids. By the way, do they give you a shot for that?” “A shot for what?” “A shot so you don’t have any babies, like a vaccine!”

It was clear to me last night Emeline still thinks as she always has….that you get married, and the babies just come out of you!!

We will know when the timing is right. One day Emeline will be ready to know and it will make sense to her. In the mean time, Steve and I will keep “Wading in”, “Wading out”, enjoying our daughter and the beautiful mind God has given her, asking Him to protect her and keep her under His mighty wings.

My Advice? DON'T PANIC!!

“The preparations of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts will be established”. Proverbs 16: 1,3

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Debbie,
You have me laughing! Oh the topic of S-E-X. If only we could handle it all with one heart-to-heart about the birds and the bees. No, this is a topic that keeps growing and changing as our daughters' bodies and experiences mature.

Be prepared. Emeline will ask more questions when she's ready! One thing I've done is to keep a journal in my daugther's room. If she wants to ask a question but is embarrassed she can write it down. I write a reply. It's led to some honest conversations.

Happy Birthday to you!!!
Love you,
Kelli