Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Don't Do Blood!

A local favorite diner was advertising 50% off their dinners tonight so I piled the kids in the car and met my parents for a dinner out. I didn’t care what I ate, having someone serve me a meal is always a blessing, with no clean up!!

Upon our arrival home it was dark, windy, and cold. I couldn’t wait to get the kids a bath and climb into my pajamas. We would have just enough time to snuggle and watch some TV before bedtime.

As my car pulled up to the driveway and came to a stop Sam jumped out of the car closing the door on Zachary. Zachary swung the door open and hit Sam in the head with the door.

Sam started screaming, and initially I thought he was over reacting. Not feeling terribly alarmed I gathered everything I could carry in my arms and headed out of the car to calm Sam down. Then I saw blood everywhere! On his hands, in his nose, his mouth, and all over his face. I immediately started screaming which made Sam scream louder! Panic rushed though my brain. “What should I do?” “Call 911”. “No, don’t call 911 yet!” I quickly realized I must calm down for the sake of Sam. Once he saw me panic, his anxiety escalated.

I have experienced many many injuries with my kids. For some reason I can handle broken bones but I don’t do well with blood. I’m initially petrified it’s much worse then it is. Seeing blood everywhere and having your kid screaming is not a pleasant situation.

I assured Sam as I was saturating paper towels with his blood that he was going to be just fine. First I thought he had a very large horizontal gash in his head, and then I realized it was a piece of bloody wet hair. Then I thought it was a gash on his eyelid, and my heart sank. I started to cry and pray that this would not be so bad. Then I realized that there was a much smaller cut, (only an inch) high on Sam’s forehead. Thank you Jesus! I reminded myself that head wounds bleed excessively.

I had Emeline call Steve while I was applying pressure to the cut (I learned that from when I did call 911 once due to a head trauma). Steve came right home from work to take Sam to the ER.

After a conversation with the Plastic Surgeon, Steve was advised stitching would define a future scar more. The type cut Sam has will scar with or without stitches. For cosmetic reasons, the decision was made to glue Sam’s head back together.

I don’t know that I’ll ever be good at seeing and working with blood. I’m thankful in the heat of the moment, I knew God would take care of Sam, and I was so very thankful it was not any more serious.

Sweet Dreams,

Debbie

No comments: