Saturday, October 25, 2008

Traveling Solo

Traveling is something I love to do. In fact the very thought of it and possibilities of places to go gives me an adrenaline rush! For me, the planning and anticipation of the trip is almost as much fun as the trip itself. Our kids are at the perfect traveling age. They still think we’re cool and want to be with us. They enjoy going to new places and they all love an exciting adventure! Whether they’re hiking the water falls in Oregon or surfing in the Atlantic Ocean, my guys and doll fully engage and enjoy every experience! As a mom, my greatest joy is watching them have fun. I believe God is all about us enjoying life. He tells us in the Bible, He desires for us to have an abundant life, and is delighted to see us as His children enjoying life.

Our family life has changed over the last several months. Many adjustments needed to be made. We entered into a phase of financial crisis. Steve has done an amazing job at providing and moving us forward but our situation has thrown me into a single mom role (Monday thru Friday) for months now. It can make you feel like you’re just out there traveling solo in life. There were certainly times of despair, but God was and is faithful to see us through. Whether it was through prayer, reading the Bible, or my close friends, God spoke volumes to me and I wouldn’t trade this for anything. Was it easy? Absolutely not. Having so much of what you are use to taken away forces you to re-evaluate whether what you had was necessary to begin with. Needless to say, all travel plans are on hold.

During the last few months of our lives I have experienced peace and joy in ways like never before. Through the rough times, I was still able to be Camp Director for my kids. I love to bake chocolate chip cookies before they come home from school, and then take them out apple picking, biking, fishing, or anything else we can find to do that’s fun.

I am aware each and every day that we only get one chance at that day. We can choose if we want to be happy or sad. Some days sadness can overwhelm us, and that’s o.k. But God tells us that His mercies are new every morning. He gives us new doses every day!! I’m a walking testimony of that. “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning, great is Your faithfulness” Lamentations 3:22-23.

Today I’m physically traveling solo. For my birthday Steve gave me a frequent flier ticket to go meet Bridget, one of my very dearest friends, in L.A. for the weekend. Oh, and a beach house and car is provided for us. THANK YOU NANCY!!! YOU’RE THE BEST!!! I’m leaving behind a sick child and an injured one. Thank goodness I have a husband who was more then willing to step up to the plate and mange things while I’m away.

As I got on the plane I was missing the family and feeling like maybe I should not have made these arrangements. After praying awhile, I read a devotional which I believe God hand picked just for me today. It was titled “Lying down in green pastures” “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside the still waters, He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His names sake”. Psalm 23:1-3 Over the next few days I plan to lie down in green pastures, well on the beach! I also look forward to eating my favorite havarti and corn egg scramble at Martha’s on the strand!!

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: