Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Little R & R


Spending the weekend in sunny southern California on the beach with a dear friend leaves you feeling like life just can’t get any better.

Upon arrival Friday afternoon Bridget and I put our bathing suits on, headed for the beach taking a dip in the ocean. Diving through the waves like a couple of high school girls, squealing over the cold brought back so many fond memories. Watching the dolphins swim by and a seal kept our eyes gazed on the shining sea wondering what would swim by next! Unfortunately my trip to the house for a shower caused me to miss a whale sighting!!

Having no agenda besides long walks on the strand, a nap on the beach, or watching a spectacular sunset relaxes your mind. Heart to heart conversations and many laughs relaxes your soul for sure. What is it about being with someone who totally accepts you for you? No feelings of being judged, just acceptance. That has been the core of our relationship for over twenty years. We have seen each other go through many ups and downs yet our friendship has stood strong and weathered the storms of life. Through it all our desire for one another is to encourage each other in the ways of the Lord. Bridget is an example of speaking the truth in love.

Growing up I was a “people pleaser”. God has shown me over the years that it is Him I am to seek to please and not man. Although God calls us to be peacemakers, our ultimate goal should be to please Him only. I now see my daughter struggling with these issues and because of what I have learned, God has given me wisdom and discernment to guide Emeline. As I share verses from the Bible with her I am also reminded of the need to be in prayer for this in my own life.

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you”. Matthew 6:33

“and whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men”. Colossians 3:23

As the alarm went off at 4:30 AM to begin my day of traveling back east, the refreshment of the weekend lingers yet the reality of going home to my family makes me long to see my husband and the kids. Having a husband that freely lets me go away for a few days without the kids and then actually manages them quite well is an added blessing. THANK YOU STEVE!!

I am humbled for this trip, my heart is grateful to Nancy and Greg for not only allowing us to come stay at their beach house but throwing in the shiny convertible sports car! Bridget and I looked pretty snazzy zipping around town, especially with Bridget’s red hair blowing in the wind! My hair doesn’t blow as well.

Blessings,

Debbie

2 comments:

KelliGirl said...

Deb,
It sounds perfect! I'm glad you had a great trip. It's just what you needed. I can't wait to hear all about it.

I pray for traveling mercies.
Love you,
Kelli

Stevo said...

It is always my pleaseure to bless you. I am happy that you had a great time, you have been working very hard with taking care of the home with out me there much during the week. thankyou. I love you, sleep well.