Thursday, October 9, 2008

Far From Perfect

It’s been a few years since I have hosted our community Bible study. As a co-facilitator I couldn’t come up with a good reason why I should not have it at my house once again. For six years I traveled twenty miles to school in the morning dropping kids off, but now they are all old enough to ride the bus.

The last time the study was at my house I had a student living with me who helped a great deal with the kids. I also had a cleaning person, and a husband who was home every night. Although we loved the phase of our life when students lived with us, it’s just us five now creating our own energy! I now clean my own house which has to be split up in two day increments for a total cleaning time of ten hours (ugh!). Due to a financial crisis, we only see my husband on the weekends.

Volunteering to have the study sparked some soul searching. I started to focus on all the negative things such as:

- We haven’t kept up with the landscaping and it looks awful!
- The dog ate my beautiful pillows outside on the bench, now they have holes in them.
- The dog also chewed the beautiful wood benches on the front porch.
- The inside of the house is half done from a renovation put on hold two years ago

I could go on and on but I knew this utter fretting was wrong and needed to be worked out in my heart and mind. Oh, and by the way, I think my whole house smells like PEE!

Somehow I got away from the whole reason I was having the study….to show the love of Jesus, and encourage others to grow in Him.

Who was I kidding thinking everything should look just perfect? My life is far from perfect, I’m a work in progress and thank God we have a God who does not demand perfection. Actually, He does demand perfection but realized we needed help in that area so He sent His son to die on the cross to save us from our sins. Once we accept that amazing gift we can spend eternity in heaven

“For God so loved the world, that He sent His one and only son. Whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

The first day came for the study and my house was far from perfect but I was at peace to know I cleaned the toilets, sprayed air freshener, lit a candle, and mopped the floor. For me, that’s about as good as it gets for company.

The best part about the day is once the ladies arrived none of my concerns mattered. We were joined by the Holy Sprit who blessed us all with the love of Jesus, the fellowship was sweet, and our hearts we encouraged to grow in Him!

Sweet blessings to you,

Debbie

1 comment:

Laurie T said...

I'm so glad you pushed through all the small stuff to do the big thing and welcome us all to your lovely home. We didn't notice a thing, it was a sweet time of being reminded that God is in control and He is good...and that's what matters! xo, Laur