Monday, December 29, 2008

A Red White And Blue Christmas


“I just saw the Statue of Liberty!” “That’s Adolf Hitler!”
We obviously have not done a good job at educating our children about Washington, DC. All they knew is we had a special invitation to tour the White House where the President of the United States lives. Then we would see lots of monuments and statues. Their little minds were working hard to make sense of the new surroundings of an exciting, historic city they had never seen before.

A few weeks back I learned a friend of mine Tracy and her family were going to the White House for a tour. Thinking that was such a fun cool thing to do with the family I inquired how I could get tickets for the tour. Tracy is a “Can do” kind of gal. Not only is she busy taking care of four small children, she manages to get them to all kinds of fun activities with a smile on her face and extra energy to spare. Soon after I left a message on her machine, there was a message back to me. She had called our Senator’s assistant Sam for me and had five extra tickets waiting for us. After clearing security measures, we were making arrangements to go to DC!

Steve knows my level of anxiety goes up when we travel together. Our children stand out in a crowd for sure. Whether it’s accidentally running out in a street with cars coming, wondering off, or riding any staircase they can find, I’m constantly catching my breath and thanking God they’re still alive on an hourly basis!

I was thrilled to go see the White House. I had never been before and just the small connection with the President was so exciting for me. I immediately wanted to take all my family and friends with me. How could I experience this without all those I love? Sure, my immediate family was going with me but there were so many others I wanted to share this special occasion with. After all, we were going to the place where many great leaders lived and have made impacts on our lives, freedom, and security as Americans. America would not be what it is without each and every one of them!

The trip was fun with the kids and Steve. The White House was beautifully decorated in Red White and Blue for Christmas. Although the kids were honestly bored by the tour, I enjoyed every step I took and read every plaque and picture on the walls. I imagined what it would be like to watch one of the meetings with the President or enjoy watching the First Lady have tea with her guests.

I found myself feeling a reverence for a place and respect for a person I will most likely never meet yet, I have a personal relationship with The King of Kings and Lord of Lords. WOW! I am so thankful most of the dear friends and family I know also have a relationship with the one and only God, and will join me one day in a much better and more beautiful place then The White House. I pray that I have more opportunity to share with those who do not know Him. We live in a world desperately seeking the truth and answers in life. I pray God uses me to reach others to share how they can have eternal security through Jesus Christ.

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life”. John 3:16

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

No comments: