Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Live Nativity


“Are you crazy?” was a girlfriend’s response when I told her I was taking my three lovely children to participate in a Live Nativity scene. I knew it was most likely not going to go smoothly and at least one of my boys would be kicked off the set before the end of the night, but I was willing to give it a shot. After all, how many times are you asked to take part in such a special event?

When I told Emeline, Samuel, and Zachary what the plans were, I was immediately socked with resistance. “Why do we have to do that?” “It’s going to be too cold!” “How many minutes are we going to be there?” “Can I be Mary?” “I want to be a King!”. I was exhausted dodging all the questions and making it sound like we would have the time of our life. I assured the kids if they did this just once I would never ask them to do it again. I had to bribe them with a treat after it was all over.

A dear friend of mine was in charge of the show, and I could never say no to my friend Ruthie! We all piled in the car with many layers of warm clothes, hats, gators, and gloves. Along came the snacks and drinks as well!

Upon arrival at the church the roles were assigned. Emeline and Sam were a king and Zachary was a shepherd. If I could only have a picture of the look on Emeline’s face when she was told she would be a king. That was probably the very last character she wanted to be. I had a quick talk with her about how we need to be flexible and do this for Aunt Ruthie!

Before the first scene my boys started acting up, pushing each other, rolling down stairs, acting like anything but a king and a shepherd! I had to pull Sam out of the first scene to go make a call to his father. When we came back I learned that someone drove by the nativity and threw a raw egg at the shepherds! It was a very disrespectful act but I wish I could have been there to see it!

The night turned out fine. Sam made it through the night with only a few reminders from the “powers to be” that kings shouldn't bounce all over the place! Emeline was reprimanded for being too theatrical, waving her hands in the air to the beat of the carolers. Kings should not dance like that!

The newspaper camera person came and took pictures. Sam will be in the paper. Who knew!! My special King! An adorable one at that!!

After two hours of a live nativity we were all ready to go home. It was fun, and we’re glad we went. A trip to Friendly’s was in order with us moms and the kids. When anyone asks how the night went, I tell them it went as well as you would think my kids would do in a live Nativity! Utterly Chaotic!

Sweet Dreams,

Debbie

No comments: