Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An Unwanted Kayak And A Dead Bunny!

With Christmas just a few days away I was all set for the big day. In fact I was ready last week! Living with a husband who works so much and children that keep me in perpetual crisis mode, being done early with shopping, wrapping, Christmas letters, baking, etc. was a must!

Christmas is not a huge deal in our family with the gift giving. Steve and I don’t care about gifts ourselves and we both receive more joy out of giving then receiving. Stressing the real meaning of Christmas is what we focus most on this time of year with the kids. That said, kids will be kids and they have their special requests for gifts.

Since last summer all Samuel has asked for is a kayak. That’s a pretty big ticket item for a seven year old and all he talked about. Sam’s birthday is in February and he bargained to forgo any birthday gifts if he could just have a kayak for Christmas. When praying Sam asks the Lord “If it be your will for me, please let me have a kayak!” With a very generous mother and some of our help Sam will receive his bright yellow kayak and paddle for Christmas. We’ve had it since a recent sale at our local sports store.

Emeline has repeatedly asked for a new bunny. Her beloved bunny “Fir ball” died last winter. Only recently did Steve decide we would get a bunny for Emeline. I took her to the pet store where she found an adorable dwarf bunny. She was mostly white with some black spots. On the side I paid for the bunny and secretly asked the manager to hold the bunny until Steve could come pick the bunny up. I was so excited for her!

Since then Emeline keeps asking about the bunny and Steve has now led her to believe the bunny might not be a Christmas present. I have taken her back to the pet store and the special bunny she liked is gone (Steve had it!!) While at the pet store Sam saw a puppy he fell in love with. “Mommy, I don’t want a kayak anymore, I want a new puppy!” I replied “YOU’RE NOT GETTING A PUPPY!” After all, we have one very active dog and I have not one ounce of desire in me to have another dog! Besides that we already have the kayak!! Sam has been very sad to think he cannot have this puppy that apparently bonded with him at the pet store while we were looking for a bunny that wasn’t there because we already bought it!

Feeling bad for Sam but not caring too much, I received a call from Steve. He had the bunny at his office, hiding it from Emeline. “The bunny is dead!” Of course it is, were my thoughts. Nothing seems to go right when it really needs to!!

So now we have an unwanted kayak and a dead bunny two days before Christmas! It’s a good thing we’re not parents who bank the day on what our kids get and how perfect the day is. The kayak and bunny will work its way out, (not sure how) it always does.

My prayer is that we can spend the time as a family and celebrate The Savior being born and how that single moment in time changed us all forever!

Blessings and Merry Christmas!

Debbie

No comments: