Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Nightmare Experience At The Vet

Yesterday I had an unexpected afternoon. First I had to take all three kids to the dentist because Emeline had a sore tooth, then shoot over to the veterinarian with the dog (something wrong with his eye). When Steve asked me to take all three kids and a very hyper dog to the vet, I thought “Are you kidding me?” Then I knew I had to do it on my own.

Emeline had not one cavity but two. The bill was devastating and we left. I lectured her the whole way home about how she will have to pay half of the bill. If she is going to not take care of her teeth and eat junk food then she can pay for her teeth.

After a quick bowl of soup for dinner we headed out to the vet with our black lab Ice. While in the car, he ate all the kid's snacks for the ride. Ice creates a whole new dynamic to my utterly chaotic gang. He is quite a hand full! When we arrived at the vet I told the kids I was in charge and the only one holding him, knowing other dogs will be there and he will pull hard to get to them. Sure enough as we walked in, Ice RAN me inside knocking over trash cans to get to the dogs. It was an instant chaos scene! I was trying with all my might to restrain him, the kids were running around and I felt completely out of control (I WAS!). Everyone got up and moved as far away from us as they could with Ice trying to get to their dogs. We were ushered into a secluded area where Ice could not see other dogs. I started to feel back in control when Ice pooped on the floor. My kids started complaining how much it smelled. I went and got a paper towel to wipe it up asking Emeline to hold Ice. Then Ice had diarrhea all over the floor! A new dog came in and Ice pulled Emeline up out of her seat and she slid in the diarrhea! Fairly quickly a nurse came to me and said “Mrs. Summer we have a room for you.” I told her that was a good way to get fast service in a busy waiting room!

Since Ice was nervous three of us had to restrain him to get his weight. Emeline did not realize I was standing behind her but as she was trying to help hold Ice down she punched me in the jaw (ouch!). We sat in this tiny room for over an hour, the three kids, Ice, and me. Can you imagine the condition we were in when the doctor finally came to see us? The boys were pushing and punching each other while the doctor was trying to explain how I should give Ice his medicine. After the doctor reprimanded my boys, he turned to me and told me to go home and have a glass of wine!

My two hour visit was a nightmare, something you would see in the movies and laugh hysterically, only I wasn’t laughing. Then they made me pay for the nightmare experience! Imagine that!!

Today has been calmer, no mishaps, just a status quo day. I like those days!

Sweet Dreams,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Oh, Debbie! I can picture this scene all to well!! What an experience. One day you will look back and laugh, but perhaps it may take a bit of time...at least until the noxious smell clears from your memory.

Love you,
Kelli