Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkey And "Stuff!"

Our Thanksgivings are usually spent alone. Any local family I have either leaves for the holiday or spends the day with other relatives, which can feel a little lonely. It is one of my favorite holidays…I love the turkey dinner and feeling of no pressure, just enjoyment for the day and thinking of reasons for which I am thankful.

This year was different. Since my sister and her family are headed to a warm destination for Christmas they decided to come from Indiana to spend the holiday with us. All other relatives decided to stay in town as well. I was so excited they would all be coming to my house to celebrate the holiday! We would be twenty one strong and in my mind, that‘s the way Thanksgiving should be!

On Monday my mother-in-law arrived for the week. She is a wonderful woman but never the less a visitor, someone who wants to help and please and I couldn’t think of much for her to do!

Tuesday my sister arrived and that night we started a string of dinners at my house with many little kids, mostly boys! The girls are quieter, but the drama between the two can raise anyone’s eyebrows.

Having so many people in my house for nights on end took its toll on the house for sure. I now have new holes in the wall, we had a flood in the basement from the toilet over flowing due to a “foreign object” flushed, red clay smashed in my dining room carpet just to mention a few.

I have local relatives that will never allow us to come to their house and the crowd can’t go to my mom’s because my eighty year old dad cannot tolerate the kids.

Over the years I have had to make adjustments to my expectations of holidays with the family here. I had to choose them all feeling welcome in my house over it staying in “One Piece”. I had to choose love over resentment for those not willing to step up to the plate and help. Accepting the role of referee when the kids are together gives me the opportunity to teach them about how to get along and what God says in the Bible about relationships.

The last four days have been busy and utterly chaotic. I can’t remember what day it is, but one thing is for sure, the good memories of Thanksgiving 2008 outweigh the challenges. Playing kick ball with the kids and adults was a highlight! Having everyone chip in to make something for the dinner made it enjoyable for everyone. Seeing the kids play and get along (for the most part) was a blessing. Watching the boys “sled” down the stairs was hysterical! The best part was looking around the crowded dinner table and being thankful for each and every person there. We ALL have our differences, yet our love for one another sets them aside and we choose to see the best in each other. For this, I am very thankful.

“That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height – to know that love of Christ which passes knowledge: that you may be filled with all the fullness of God” Ephesians 3:17-19

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: