Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Life Long Friendship


I wasn’t sure how my kids would fair a trip from the Northeast to the Northwest with a two hour stop in Chicago! I took all three kids for the first time by myself to Oregon to see my friend Bridget. This was the last Hoo-rah of the summer! I had every piece of electronic equipment ready and charged to give them maximum entertainment from one coast to the other!

As much as I love my kids, I’m also aware they can tire anyone out quickly. They’re loud but happy. Full of energy yet hysterical. My guys and doll love an adventure and Bridget was ready to love them like her own, and give them just that!

I’ve known Bridget for over twenty years. We met in Philadelphia. She was married, and pregnant with her first child. I was single and busy with my career.

I have always admired my friend for her faith, strength, and grace. Seeing her as a wife and mom was an inspiration to me. She was patient and realistic yet full of a sense of humor. She could always find an optimistic view for whatever challenge that faced her. Her love for God and determination to trust Him no matter what has encouraged me to keep pressing on during more difficult times.

Bridget loved having my kids and they knew they were welcome. Her home is relatively quiet but she welcomed the noise, dirt and fighting! Living next to a park allowed the kids to be out and about visiting neighbors and playing with their dogs. Zachary is almost a hero...he found a dog in the creek crying. His paw was struck under a rock, he had been missing for several days. After running for help, the dog was rescued and returned to his owner.

To have a friend like Bridget for so many years has impacted my life in many ways. I never stop missing her. She is the one I call when it seems as though my life is falling apart. After a few minutes of talking we somehow find a way to laugh and see the brighter side of things. I have never once felt judged by her, only encouraged to seek after the Lord and His will for my life.

Seeing each other go through ups and downs of life has drawn us closer, even though we are thousands of miles apart. Today our lives are challenging in different ways yet there is a common bond in Christ, a life long friendship, and a thankful heart that God would see fit to bring such a wonderful person in my life (sniff!).

I love you and miss you Bridget, thanks for such a great time. I'll see you in HB for the big celebration!!!!

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Deb,
I had such a great time with your kids and you of course. Emmeline, Sam and Zach are treasures! They exhibit a little bit of Deb in them and yet they are fiercely their own person. They are smart, loyal honest and loving kids. I miss their energy and enthusiasm. I enjoyed every minute we had to talk and share. looking forward to HB also.