Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Hunt To Be Remembered


With two birthdays within on month of each other I decided to simplify things by having a combined party for Emeline and Zachary. After deciding to have the party at our pool I started to wonder how the group would stay together at such a large club. It didn’t make sense to me to have guests come only for them to scatter throughout the four pools.

With a mix of ages between five and ten, boys and girls, how would I entertain them all? Many of them did not know each other, so I had to think of a way to get everyone doing something together. A Scavenger Hunt! Brain storming with a friend one night, then my mother, we came up with a hunt that was so much fun. I think I was more excited then the kids.

The day came for the party and of course the weather was not good. It was raining in the morning and there were threats all day for showers. We prayed the skies would clear, and clear they did. In addition, because of the poor weather earlier, most members went home, so we practically had a private party!

With more guests then I planned for and additional family members joining in on the party, we had a big hunt with lots of kids, five teams strong. Yes, it was utterly chaotic but a blast from beginning to end. Seeing the parents leading the groups with their varying personalities was hilarious! My favorite task was having one team member blow a rubber ducky across the pool. Watching the pyramids form, kids dressing up with “lost and found” clothes, teammates posing for a picture with a grandmother, all made the hunt fun and creative, promoting good teamwork and sportsmanship.

Being on a team teaches kids (and us) great life lessons. Sometimes we have control over the outcome of the game and sometimes we don’t. Giving it our best and having fun is key. Supporting and encouraging one another is a must.

“And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works”. Hebrews 10:24.

The scavenger hunt was a success, and from what I could tell each team worked together, encouraging one another with many laughs along the way!

Blessings,

No comments: