Thursday, July 31, 2008

Island Of Joy

After a year of anticipating Emeline’s first sleep away camp, it was finally here! She was going to a Christian Girl’s Camp called Tapawingo , “Island of Joy” on an island in the middle of a lake in the Adirondacks. This is not a strange place to our family, my mother went to the camp when she was a young girl, and we have vacationed on the same lake for many years.

The summer has been busy and VERY fun with the swim team but now it was time to pack up and “Head for the Hills”. As a decent mother I tried to have everything perfect for Emeline’s week away. I made sure she had basically disposable clothes, I didn’t want to be disappointed when half of them didn’t come back! I discovered the Salvation Army for great deals on camp clothes!! Finally I arranged to have a package delivered to Emeline each day with a special note from me and a surprise inside. My desire was to make sure she knew how much she was loved while away from her family since we could not communicate with her.

I made sure I read through all the information for camp which included what to do about homesickness. Then I started to wonder what would happen if I got camp sick for her? There was nothing in the brochure about that!

The day came to register Emeline on the main land and then send her on her way. Parents were allowed to come out to the island with their daughter but it was not encouraged. I left that decision totally up to Emeline. The last minute decision was for me to go.

When we got to the island I started to choke up. The girls on the island were greeting the boat with the “Tapawingo Song”, welcoming the new campers. As I looked at my daughter I saw a quiet confidence about her, she was ready to take this step. I knew somehow the next time I saw Emeline she would be a different girl.

When it came time to say good-bye we held each other tight and I prayed that God would just bless her with the most amazing week of her life! We both shed a few tears but remained strong for one another. My mind quickly fast forwarded the clock ten years and realized this was the first of many good-byes, a small step toward her independence.

“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it”. Proverbs 22:6

As parents we do our best to instill Godly values in our children. With help from above I give it my best shot every day. One thing is for sure, my kids know Steve and I love them and they know we are ALL in need of Jesus in our lives.

As I left the “Island Of Joy” and my daughter that day, my heart was heavy yet full of peace to know that Emeline was in a very special place, ready to spread her wings and fly!

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

No comments: