Thursday, July 10, 2008

She Knew Her Daddy Was There!

Another banner meet for the “Crocs” (Crocodiles) tonight. Why? Because they have a lot of kids that can swim really well, and oh, the head coach is amazing. She recently qualified for the Ironman in Hawaii. Coach Heather amazes me how she takes the time to teach each individual age group and bring out the very best in their strokes and turns. The kids love and respect her.

When the events are scheduled for each meet, it makes sense to put the kids in the very best stroke they achieve making sure they have the legal kicks necessary.

Emeline is a good swimmer and is usually chosen for the back stroke and breast stroke. The back stroke can be stressful for a child because when they are coming down the lane on their back they don’t know where the wall is, so they slow down and can loose time. Knowing Emeline would most likely be chosen for the back stroke I reminded her before the meet to keep swimming, someone will put their hand out to catch her. I was a place judge tonight so I couldn’t move from my position. Sure enough Emeline was in two events with the back stroke. The first time she came down the lane and no one caught her. Whacking her head and shoulder, she then marched up to me and said “No one caught me!” I knew that if I didn’t make quite sure this wouldn’t happen again she would not swim well for the next event. I told her I would speak to the parents timing the lane and ask one of them to be sure they catch her head.

The next event was coming up for Emeline to swim the back stroke, and I could see her getting nervous. Just then my husband showed up at the meet and told her he would stand at the end of the lane and catch her. Emeline’s eyes lit up and she beamed with confidence to see her daddy at the wall!

“Swimmers take your mark!” and the horn went off for the start of the race. As the Place Judge I had to watch all eight lanes racing but Emeline was clearly pulling for first place. As she approached the wall, two swimmers were gaining on her but she swam harder to take first place knowing her daddy was there to catch her.

“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see”. Hebrews 11:1. Emeline could not see Steve as she was swimming but trusted he would be there because he said he would. God promises us many times over in the bible how he will be there for us, yet we must put our trust in Him. “Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who diligently seek Him”. Hebrews 11:6

I pray we all grow to trust Him more in our daily lives holding onto the assurance He will be there to catch us!

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

No comments: