Thursday, February 28, 2008

Its Just Hair!

A few days ago I had a hair appointment for highlights and a cut. Two different people accomplish that (same Salon). I’m a loyal customer and I make my appointments ten weeks in advance. The salon is not close to my house so I schedule my day around this appointment. While sitting with my son watching “Air Buddies” the phone rang and I couldn’t hear the voice but thought I would pick the message up later. Turns out it was the Salon confirming my appointment, and oh, letting me know that the person who has been cutting my hair for fifteen years is on vacation. “Call us when you get this message”. With my appointment being the next day I called right away, “Sorry, the Salon is closed”. Closed????!!!!!. Don’t they know I’m a very busy person?? I’m a long standing client!!! Who’s going to cut my hair??? They need to take customer service lessons from Nordstrom!! Why didn't they call me two weeks ago?? Why does Will need to take a vacation now?? As my mind is going down a very self serving, self absorbed road, I’m starting to wonder what on earth I’m going to do! (Debbie, its just hair). I had to put my hair crisis on hold when the two older ones came home from school so I could get homework done, dinner made, etc. Every so often I would come back to it, “I really need to let them know this is unacceptable”, (Debbie, its just hair). Then I would start dialoguing with the Lord “I know this is just hair, but it isn’t right what they did. Who’s going to cut my hair? What if they cut it all wrong? "(But Debbie you wear your hair up in a pony tail most of the time). “Lord, forgive me this is so ridiculous, help me not to worry about this, where’s that verse where you tell us not to worry because of the sparrows?” “But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows” Luke 12:7. Wow, that’s amazing that God cares so much about and for us that He knows and cares about the number of hairs. I hope that means He is o.k. with us caring about who cuts our hair!

The way this all went down was not right but I knew I had to make a choice how I was going to handle this the next day, and respond. The cute adorable receptionist saw me walk in and knew there could be a serious confrontation. I let her know that although I was disappointed the way this was handled I knew no one set out to make this mistake, and I wasn’t taking it personally (she looked extremely relieved). I graciously accepted the person they had chosen to cut my hair (Lord help them to do a good job!!). My hair is still in a pony tail and it’s just fine.

When we face circumstances that are difficult and unjust I believe it is important to remember we are living for the sake of the Kingdom. God used me that day to show His grace through the power of His Spirit. After all It’s Just Hair!!! “Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand”. Phil 4:5

Blessings and Sweet Dreams!!

1 comment:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Great advice!!! I am a sister who can also stress about her unruly locks of hair but the day I walked into Great Clips and said just do whatever... was one of the best cuts I've ever had.

Pony Tail Girls unite!

Thanks for your sweet e-mail and yes, please give Sharon plenty of hugs~