Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Never Ending Friday

School cancelled due to snow!!! Tennis cancelled due to snow (my outlet)!!! Husband gone for two days (not sure when he’s coming home)!!

I knew yesterday school would be cancelled which of course sounded fun and exciting since it is the first one for us this year. The kids and I stayed up late watching The Wizard of Oz. Emeline was asked to be a Munchkin in a high school production and didn’t know what a Munchkin was!! This morning I woke up and the kids were up with me. I like to pray and read the Bible first thing in the morning. Well, that didn’t happen. The demands of the day were in full swing. The thirty minute TV limit was over by 8:30 AM (ugh!!). As I was still in my pajamas I was trying to figure out just what I was going to do with these very energetic children all day long!! It took two hours to just get breakfast and the kitchen half way cleaned up. I quickly realized there were three things that were going to get me through the day 1). Have my devotions, 2) Have a game plan for the kids, 3) Provide myself with lots of treats along the way! My morning treat was an extra cup of coffee (I know, pathetic but it was too early to hit the chocolate). As I was making the chocolate chip pancakes I did pop several of those chips in my mouth!! I finally sat down and tried to pray and read with all the commotion going on around me. I was interrupted numerous times, I’m sure it was crystal clear, and I begged God for an extra dose of patience as the day was unfolding. Then I sat down with each of my children and explained to them what was expected. I imposed behavior goals in increments and rewards along the way. Then the door bell rang and I was suddenly painfully aware of how horrible I must have looked. My hair hadn’t been washed in a few days and well, I just looked terrible. It was Nick the snow shovel person my husband hired to come shovel my snow. I didn’t know we had somebody like that and quite frankly it had not crossed my mind that I was in need of such a person!!

Besides the usual battles that one encounters with boys the day was going pretty well. Posters were being created, model vehicles were being built (engine and all), and balls were flying in the playroom. We couldn’t let the day go by without going sledding, so we called a few friends and went to our favorite spot well equipped with the snow gliders, turbo sliders, snow boards, etc. Of course I was also dressed for sledding myself. It was a blast. The snow had a little bit of rain on it so it was a fast sled ride. Now as a mom you can’t just sit at the top of a hill and push off, you won’t go very far. You really need to take a running jump and get some air!! Air I got as I went flying down the hill feeling like I was a kid again (kids have a way of doing that to you!!). After we had several races so everyone won at least once and built snowmen we came home for hot chocolate. It was time for a treat for me too so I squirted several dollops of whipped cream into my mouth (I know appalling!!). I was planning to keep all the kids (and company) for spaghetti and meatballs but my mom called and reminded me we had tickets to see The Sound of Music at school. With my house trashed from the day we said goodbye to our friends and went to meet “Mom Mom” and “Pop Pop” at Panera Bread. Now by this time I was looking forward to some adult interaction and relief. I had talked, disciplined, and refereed three to five children for the entire day and was looking forward to a reprieve. I got to the restaurant and my parents were not there. They are not usually the late ones, it’s always me. I started to order dinner for everyone. I was interrupted so many times during trying to place my order by fights breaking out, bottles being clanked, and special orders on sandwiches I started just loosing it. I had to apologize three times to the cashier for being such a terrible mother. I had reached my limit and my night was not over. As I sat eating dinner I watched people come and go. They all looked like they had a calm life, and I was the only one feeling out of control. I was relieved to see a woman have to take her child out because she had a melt down. Whew, I thought that only happened to my kids!! What was I thinking to take my boys to a show? Emeline loves it but not the boys!! They had their PSP to use only as we were waiting for the show to start. Somewhere along the way Sam did not understand that and was devastated to hear he needed to sit and watch the show!! “What if I don’t like the show?” “You’ll act like you do!!” was my reply. Meanwhile my parents never showed up, come to find out we were at different Panera Breads!! I decided it was time for another treat for my self. This time it was a big chocolate chip cookie.

Off to the show. We met my parents and separated all my children between us for maximum coverage. The show was three hours long. I loved it, the boys did not!! Every time the audience clapped my five year old asked really loud “Is it over now?” Because Sam has ADHD he has developed some ticks. He twirls his hair and clears his throat. Zachary just kept jumping all over the place. I felt bad for the people sitting behind us but they were laughing hysterically at the boys!! My favorite part of the show is when the Reverend Mother sings Climb Every Mountain. I always want to belt that song out when I hear it!! Follow Every Rainbow….. Till You Find Your Dream!! Ah, it takes me back!!

Now the children are asleep. I have peace and quiet, thank you Jesus we made it!!!

Blessings,

Debbie

4 comments:

KelliGirl said...

Utterly Deb,
Thank you for sharing stories of your day. :-) I feel like I was with you all...and oh, how much fun it is to ride a sled down a hill!!! (And squirt whipped cream in my mouth!)
Thanks for showing what a blessings these crazy, hecitc but joyful days are!
Love you,
KelliGirl

Karen said...

Deb,
I'm so proud of you for doing this!! Anything to get through these crazy days!!! I love you!!

Karen

Laurie T said...

AAAAaaah, Deb, this brings back memories! And frankly I don't think I was half as much fun of a mom as you are. Or half as patient. Some day you'll wish for these days back. Love you, girlfriend. Do not grow weary in well-doing!
xo, Laur

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I enjoyed reading about your day. I hope God rewarded you well in your next quiet time. It seems like you did so well with all of it!! Gotta love this craziness!
In His Graces~Pamela