Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Seizing the moment

As I sat on my son Sam’s bed last night, it was later then “going to bed time” and all I wanted to do was finish up getting everyone ready for the next school day. Steve was working late so the night seemed, at this point, like it had gone on for an eternity. After being with Sam I had two more children to tuck in and settle down. At best I was looking at another thirty minutes until the house was QUIET (remember I’m a quiet – loving person). I asked Sam what his prayer requests were (hoping he did not have a lot), and then came the questions, “Mommy, could you pray that I will go to heaven?” “And could you tell me about the time you think you saw an angel?”

My son Sam has ADHD. His body and mind are in constant motion. But, tonight was different. He was engaged and sitting still. (Well, as still as Sam sits.) He was truly concerned. Wanting to rush from Sam to my other waiting children (one of them was screaming for me at this point), I wanted to say “Of course you’re going to heaven! We’ll talk about the angel tomorrow, now what are your prayers requests?” But instead, I stopped looking at the time and forgot about how I couldn’t wait to get in bed myself, and I engaged in a very rare moment with my son. Sam confessed he told God he didn’t believe in him anymore and wasn’t sure what that meant for him. He feared he was now going to hell. Again, I started thinking (as my younger one is still screaming for me) “Do we really need to be talking about this so late???” God spoke to my heart “Be still Debbie, this is important”. Sam asked if I knew a part in the Bible that could help him know for sure. Not being a Bible scholar, I searched my memory and came up with a familiar verse. I told him “For God so loved the world...” Sam finished, “That He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes on Him, shall not perish but have everlasting life!” Sam had a big smile on his face “Yes! I know that one!”. I explained to Sam that once we believe Jesus and have Him in our hearts we don’t have to worry about not going to heaven. I explained to him that if he decided to tell me he didn’t want me to be his mommy anymore that doesn’t mean I’m not his mommy. I’ll always be his mom and Jesus will always be His heavenly Father.

Seizing the moment is important with our children and relationships. I’m sure there are many times I don’t seize the moment or take the window of opportunity. “Apply your heart to instruction, and your ears to words of knowledge.” Proverbs 23.12. To gain knowledge we must be willing to listen. Of course I’d rather be listening, gaining knowledge, and seizing in the morning because I’m an “A.M.” kind of gal. But to learn about our children or spouse we must listen and take that time when it comes (ready or not!).

Sam and I prayed and asked Jesus to assure his heart that he will be going to heaven someday. I then went to Emeline and Zachary’s rooms where I listened to singing, sang along, reviewed a play, read a book, and prayed with each of them. Time, in my opinion, well spent.

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Hey! I'll "sieze the moment" with your children anytime. They are all unique and special in their own way. Just like you.

I want you to know that this "blog thing" will give you the opportunity to touch the hearts of people - something you do in a most wonderful way. I am proud to be able to call you my friend.

Love, Joanne