Sunday, March 2, 2008

"She Doesn't Like Me!"

Are the words I sometimes hear come out of Emeline’s mouth. Like many of us moms I probe and ask questions to try and gain a perspective on where this is coming from and where we are going with it. I once received wise counsel from well, a wise counselor who encouraged me to try and not fix the situation, but ask questions, ask her how it makes her feel and just LISTEN (hard to do). Back in Kindergarten Emeline use to tell me this little boy wanted to marry her (it’s all she talked about). I immediately would cut her off and tell her that she shouldn’t be talking about that for at least thirty years!! One time I just asked her how she felt about it all and it was the beginning of a trusted dialogue I am able to have with my daughter about anything that pops into that little head of hers. So now in third grade it is the drama of the “girls”. At night we talk and I listen to all of what has gone on throughout the day. A friend once told me “None of them think they have friends”. I think there is a lot of truth in that, even as an adult, don’t we all struggle at times of feeling like we’re not fitting in (I feel another possible blog coming on)??

I’m preparing for a Bible study in Romans chapter twelve where Paul talks about how to live our faith each day. Verse eighteen has always been one of my favorite verses, “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men”. Paul doesn’t tell us to make sure everyone is at peace with us. WE are to try and be at peace with all men. I do encourage my children to live in this light. I believe all girls are “good willed” but they all (including Emeline) do and say things that they shouldn’t (so do big girls!).

So…when Emeline comes home and tells me “so and so” doesn’t like her there are times where she realizes that she actually owes someone an apology and there are other times she just needs to love and forgive someone as Christ has forgiven and loves her.

I want to thank all the people in Emeline’s life for loving and supporting her. I thank God and pray for all her friends. I love who they all are and Emeline does too!

I also want to humbly thank all my friends and family for all your encouraging e-mails and calls relating to these blogs. It means so much to me, and I pray that I only honor God in all this. Thank you to the special people in my life who keep me accountable (you know who you are), I am enjoying this journey.

Sweet Dreams and blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Deb,
What a great message...for children and grownups! I am thrilled with the way your writing is developing and how God is using you. By sharing your wonderful, beautiful, Godly heart we all get to see Him in the process!
Love you,
Kelli