Monday, March 30, 2009

The New Norm

Growing up with a father who was a musician, he expected me to be one too. Sports was not an option. I was quite good at playing the clarinet but I hated to practice. I had the gift of sight reading, and so I went far in competitions with out practicing!

As an adult I must be making up for loss time. I love to watch football, soccer, basketball, and lacrosse but my favorite game to play is tennis. After becoming a mom I realized I needed something to serve as an outlet. I tried a mom’s group which included making crafts and quickly realized this was not for me! Nine years later I still love that little yellow ball. It’s my best therapy for stress relief!

Last June I was injured on the court with ligament damage in my foot. My doctor limited my activity but allowed me to play tennis once a week. I also pulled my IT band and groin! As if that wasn’t enough I have now been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hands. I went through a week of feeling sorry for myself. How can I function without the use of my hands or being in pain with swelling all the time? How will I write?? Play tennis? Do the dishes, clean the house??

I now have a choice how to live my life. At first I was sure the doctor would tell me to stop doing my activities. No more spin class, NO MORE TENNIS!! That was not what the doctor said at all, in fact he said “DO NOT STOP PLAYING TENNIS!” I knew I liked that guy!! Yes, even with arthritis continual activity is good!

My new norm is not fun, I wish I didn’t have pain, but I do. Now I get to choose how I will live with this. I can complain most days or I can learn how to manage my pain. Only through prayer will I become an o.k. new me. It certainly could be worse. I choose to trust that God will give me the strength when I need it and the wisdom to know when to rest my hands.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: