Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Gas Of A Party!




Steve and I have wanted to get to know our kid’s friends parents better. Attending a private school spreads these kids all over the greater Philadelphia area for many miles. One of Emeline’s best friends lives forty five minutes away. Recently Zachary wanted a play date and I said “Ask Johnny if he can just sleep over.” There is no such thing as a two hour play date for our kids.

Attending fun, memorable chili cook-offs for several years at my girlfriend Bridget’s house (who moved away), has left me feeling like I needed to pick up the torch at some point and run with it. Wanting to get some familiar and unfamiliar faces mingling and a chili cook-off seemed like a very good fit.

With three "cook-off" hostess coaches, two on the west coast (one being Bridget), and one on the east coast, plus numerous class lists I mailed the invitations. My mistake was I didn’t make a master list of who I invited! Although many RSVP’d, some did not. I had no idea how many guests I was really having!! When most asked I would give a ballpark number, acting like everything was under control. Only close friends knew I was clueless!!

With seventeen chilis strong things turned out just fine, the night was a success. Steve and I were thrilled so many showed up, crock pots in tow with a competitive look in their eye! The entries were judged for the spiciest, most unusual, and best overall taste. Prizes were awarded accordingly.

With the busy day we had getting ready for the party, my only prayer was that everyone would feel welcome in our home and enjoy their time, catching up with existing friendships and meeting some new people. As I looked around our many rooms filled with chatting guests and laughter, it was apparent my prayers were answered.

Thank you Bari Jo, Nancy, and Bridget!

A special thanks to my friend Ericka who encouraged me to take this step offering to be of help and help she did (Ken too!). Thanks to her little nudge, Lord willing, we will have a second Summer Annual Chili Cook-Off next March 2010!!

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Debbie,
So glad your party was a hit! I was thinking about you. Looking forward to hearing about all the details, but from the pictures all seemed to go without a hitch! Thanks for the example of what it means to reach out in fellowship and hospitality!