Sunday, March 8, 2009

A weekend with Mrs. "T"


Going to a Women’s Retreat is not typically someting I'm dying to do. Honestly if I was given a chance to go spend a weekend with a girlfriend or go to a retreat with a large group I would choose the one on one fellowship. Don’t get me wrong, I think retreats are great but I often come home from them exhausted.

It’s been six years since I have attended a retreat. My girlfriend Laurie invited me to go with her church. With money being tight and not loving retreats I was hesitant and said no. My good friend pushed a bit until I said yes. The only reason I wanted to go was to spend time with her and another friend.

As the time came close for us to leave last Friday I could have been easily talked out of going away. Besides having three young children I have many balls I am juggling, and I was feeling overwhelmed to walk away from it all for two days. Out of devotion to my friend I gladly went.

Laurie and I met playing tennis nine years ago. Upon the birth of my second child Sam, at two weeks old he contracted the RSV virus that made him critically sick. Laurie reached out to me and it was then we realized we both have a love for Jesus. Over the last eight years Laurie has become a dear friend. I am privileged to have her in my life sharing the ups and downs of our journey. I have watched her be a mom of three amazing boys. Many times God has used her to encourage my heart and help me laugh at my crazy boys!! She is a wise woman (and really smart too!) who I can sit and listen to for hours. She knows I’m one of her biggest fans! Laurie shines with a steadfast, real, unwavering faith in her God.

The retreat was a blessing. The singing, speaking, testimonies, line dances, and skits, all made up the spiritual nourishment I needed. As for my time with Laurie, as usual the time was sweet. She does most of the talking and I listen (I prefer that). She doesn’t realize how much I learn from her each time we are together. God has spoken to me often through my friend Laurie. My life is richer for knowing her

“Iron sharpens iron: so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend”. Proverbs 27:17.

Thank you for being my friend Mrs. “T”, and for sharing the weekend with me!

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Deb,
I love Laurie, too! I'm so happy you two had a sweet time together on the retreat. I wish I could have joined you both!! (I love retreats). I can't wait to hear all about the weekend and how God used it to nourish and feed you.

Love you, my friend,
Kelli