Sunday, April 5, 2009

Parablelooza


As I sat watching “Parablelooza” this morning, I couldn’t help but make it a point to observe almost each and every child up there. We went to see Emeline perform but she was in the back and it was impossible to see her. Attending two long performances left some room to observe for sure!

Parablelooza is a children’s musical centered around a game show called P A R A B L E L O O Z A, yet with a bigger story about the parables in the Bible.

I love to watch kids. Years ago I often felt inadequate and unsure of motherhood, but through understanding God’s grace in my life I have a lighter heart. Like every other family we have our ups and downs. Times when our kids are lovely, and times when they’re awful. Times when I feel in control with them and times when I have no clue what to do other then pray (which I do often!). Just last week one of my sons was taken to lunch by the principle for receiving so many rewards. Two days later he was in the principle's office for putting up his middle finger in the lunch room (ugh!).

Before I had children I was critical of other mothers. Surely a mother should be able to control her screaming kids in the super market…then I had kids who screamed in the super market and many other places!! Motherhood is one of the most humbling jobs I can imagine yet the most rewarding job of all.

Observing almost seventy children this morning included laughing at some, praying for others, hoping my daughter turns out like one, and most of all realizing that God made them all so wonderful and vastly different. Some with short hair, some long, some fashionable, some (like Emeline) seem to not care at all about how they appear. Some obviously had a stage presence and confidence about them, others looked like it was a big deal for them to be up on stage.

I also spent some time thinking and praying for the parents of all these kids. Only the Lord knows what types of homes they come from. Ours certainly is not perfect, but one thing is for sure.. we love our kids, we pray for them and with them. My everyday prayer is that my kids will see a need for Jesus in their lives and that they will see that we, their parents rely on and need Jesus every step of the way. If they can grasp that I’ll be thankful, and they’ll be fine.

“I will praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are Thy works, and that my soul knows well.” Psalm 139:14

Parenting: Hang in, Hold on, Hug tight!

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: