Thursday, January 8, 2009

I Did It!

“How long is this going to be?” “Why do we have to do this?” “Are we there yet?” “I don’t want to do that!” “This is too hard!” How much more do I have to do?” “I can’t do this!”

These are frequent phases I hear come out of my nine, seven, and six year old mouths. Whether it is a road trip, homework, chores, sports, or just life in general, our human nature likes and craves the easy road and smooth sailing.

Today I uttered these very phases myself and then some. After fifteen minutes of my first spin class I thought I would die! Coming off a foot injury and having to scale way back on my activities for the last five months has left this gal way out of shape!

After a slow recovery and the o.k. from my doc, I’m ready to slowly ramp up the exercise routine avoiding any high impact aerobics on my foot

After a brief tour of the club and inquiring about membership I met my friend Kelli for the class. I biked with Kelli outside once before…she’s a serious biker, and a strong one at that! I knew she would be my hero in spin class, and she was!

Back to me almost dying…..Although I have scaled back on exercise, I still have played restricted tennis (THE GAME I LOVE!!), and worked out a little at home. We’re talking minimal effort. Still, I went to the class thinking I could hang with the best of them. After fifteen minutes the teacher looked at me as if to say “girl, you’re pathetic!”

Bottom line is I hung in there for the whole 45 minutes, and I didn’t die! Often I could not catch my breath and I felt like my legs would fall off but I survived!!! What a great feeling when it was all over!! I was sure someone would come up and shake my hand congratulating me on my first class, or present me with a coupon for the juice bar, but no one did!

I thought about my kids a lot today while I was sweating, gasping to breath. We all have times and circumstances in our life when we are compelled to complain. The road ahead looks unbearable, down right impossible. Yet as we press on and endure blood, sweat, and tears, there is something satisfying about finishing the race well. I pray with God's help I can instill that in them.

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Hey Deb,
I'm glad to see at least your hand muscles weren't too sore to type! :-) I knew you could do it. You'll be riding with the best of them in no time. I loved having you there. Maybe you can torture me in a yoga class. Now that is one thing I am SURE I do not excel at!!!

Sweet dreams.
Love ya',
Kelli