Monday, January 26, 2009

Girlfriends Getaway


“When daily routines wear you down, round up your friends for a revitalizing retreat to play, relax, and learn. You’ll return home to loved ones with new energy.” Kathleen Reilly

Last Thursday I headed to meet my girlfriends for our annual Hermosa Beach retreat!! We started this tradition five years ago. My friend Bridget’s generous sister Nancy allows us to live in their beach house for a long weekend in January. We gals come from either Oregon where it rains everyday or Philadelphia where it is cold and snowy. Arriving in Los Angeles in January for us is like heaven!

Five years ago us girls (except Bridget) didn’t know one another. It was a bit risky for us all to trust our one common denominator (Bridget) and go live with other women for five days not knowing much about each other! Amazingly we all loved our time together and felt as if we had all known each other for ever. Hours of drinking coffee together, walks on the strand, and breakfasts at Martha's draws us closer each year. With such vast personalities represented there is always an interesting twist on the numerous topics of conversation. Solving all the world's problems is our expertise! The one cord that binds us all together is our love for God and our desire to know Him more in our lives. We can all just “Be” ourselves. Spending so much time together fosters a sense of honesty even our mothers (at least mine) don’t tell us. For instance this year, within twenty four hours together I was told to shorten my Christmas letter (too small to read, and who cares about Sam's favorite verse!) and my hair should be blonder! Oh, and constipation was a huge topic this year, I learned so much about the colon!

This year we had two more guests join us. Bridget’s younger sister Margarite from Florida and her friend Peggy from Los Angeles. I wasn’t sure how I would like this since I didn’t know them very well and the original group would be different. Well, we/I just loved having them with us! Peggy kept us laughing lots!

Bridget turned 50 recently and it was time to celebrate while we were all together. Her sisters Nancy and Margarite planned a surprise party inviting friends from college and high school to fly in for the festivities. I knew this was going to be such a blessing for Bridget and I could not wait to watch it all unfold.

I have known Bridget for over twenty years. She has been such an inspiration in my life. The big sister I never had. Walking into her surprise party with her and seeing the expression on her face was a moment I will never forget. Many who love her were there to celebrate a special occasion with a friend/sister/Aunt who has gone through some difficult times yet remains strong and an example to all of us what it is to trust in God when life doesn’t make sense, and it down right stinks! She is a woman who oozes with grace, finding only the good in people. I am proud and honored to call Bridget my friend.

After my final walk out to the beach this morning, I headed to the airport in Greg’s (Nancy’s husband) 1957 Ford…very cool!! Consistent with the last five years the memories are sweet from the 09 retreat with the Hermosa girls!

Back home my husband managed three kids with one being sick every day, forcing him to take sick children to work (perks of being the boss). Not once did he complain and make me feel bad for being away. Only phone calls of excitement and eager to know if I was having a good time with the girls! Thank you for the freedom to go Steve! It means more then you know.

Thank you Nancy and Greg for blessing us with your magical house on the beach in Hermosa!

Happy 50th Birthday Bridget!

Hermosa Beach 2009 album http://gallery.me.com/carolynkopca#100719

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

2 comments:

Stevo said...

Very cool!! And yes you are welcome, I am glad you had a great time. we missed you and are gald to have you back.

KelliGirl said...

Deb,
I'm so glad you had a great time. It sounds like the trip was a blast! What an incredible blessing to share such precious time with sisters in Christ. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Love you,
Kelli