Sunday, January 11, 2009

An Afternoon Sledding


Winter weather in the Northeast can be unpredictable at best. The last few years have been extremely mild, not much snow at all. Often there will be a threat of a snow storm but then it misses us. The kids get their hopes up for a snow day or a good sledding day only to be disappointed. Yesterday the forecast called for snow. It started over night and by dawn the ground was covered. It looked like a promising snow day, and then it stopped!

Saturdays are busy with three basketball games ranging from possibly 8:00 AM until 1:00 PM. With Steve out of town for the weekend I decided after the games were over we would pile the sleds and ski suits in the car and head north where there was sure to be more snow for sledding! Since the snow wasn’t coming to us we decided to go to the snow.

The kids and I prayed God would show us where to go and how far. I decided driving an hour north on the freeway was sufficient. When I got off the exit we prayed again for a good spot. I told the kids to look for a school or industrial park. Sure enough within 2 miles we saw a large school with very big hills and kids sledding. It was starting to snow which made the conditions perfect!

Sledding is an activity that brings out the kid in me. Who doesn’t love to take a fast ride down a hill, not knowing where you’ll wind up or how far you’ll go? Of course running and jumping on the sled makes it all the more exciting. Watching the kids laugh and race down the hill delights my heart.

After a good long time out in the snow we piled back in the car and thanked the Lord for blessing us with such a wonderful day! Jokingly I said “Now we should pray that God can help us find a Dunkin Donuts so we can get a hot chocolate”. Sure enough, to my surprise, a mile down the road was a Dunkin Donuts. We ordered four hot chocolates with extra whipped cream!

What a fun day. It was a day I felt God smiling down on us. Emeline said “God is really good to us”, referring to the way everything fell into place on our adventure. Sam answered, “God is ALWAYS good to us”. As a mom, that blessed my heart to hear my son understand the sovereignty of God in his own way.

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: