Monday, January 19, 2009

Fluffy Survives The Summer Family


Hi I’m Fluffy! Sam’s mom has agreed to let me take over her blog today. I’m a stuffed animal dog (not sure what kind). I get to travel home for a week with all the students in Sam’s class. I come in my own bag with a journal. The kids are supposed to write what they did with me during the week. I enjoy my time with each second grader because they are all so unique and I learn neat things about their family.

When I came home to Sam’s house I sat in my bag for a few days because Sam forgot to tell his mom I was there. When she found the bag and asked who it belonged to, Sam proudly claimed me right away (that made me happy)! Sam’s mom wasn’t sure what to do with me so she put me on the table, so their real dog “Ice” wouldn’t eat me. As I looked around the room and in Ice’s crate I could see lots of half eaten stuffed animals. I was glad I was in a safe place.

Watching the Summer family for a few days was quite entertaining. Sam has an older sister Emeline and a younger brother Zachary. They all love to play and have a good time. Once they all come home from school, complete their homework and chores, its PARTY TIME! The noise level in the house is one volume…REALLY LOUD! I liked watching all three scatter to their level of interest. Zachary likes to play games, Emeline spends time with her pet bunny and Sam loves to tinker around. Mostly he likes to build Legos. I’m just a dog, but one of the structures Sam created and built last week blew me away!

Once the weekend came Sam’s mom realized no one had spent any time with me. She felt bad about that so she told Sam he needed to start paying attention to me. She also realized that she would have to set the example. So, on Saturday I went to a basketball game with her (people call her Debbie). The Summers have three basketball games each Saturday and I saw two of them. I sat on Sam’s mom’s lap. There’s something about a mom’s lap that makes me feel secure. It puzzled me though why she went to the game because she sat and talked to a girlfriend the whole time and didn’t see any of the game. In fact one of Mrs. Summer’s other girlfriends came up to her and gave her key events in the game to mention should Emeline ask her if she was watching!

I was supposed to go to a birthday party with Sam but he forgot me so I slept in the car.

My last event with the Summer family was watching the Eagles play the Cardinals yesterday. I was home alone with Sam’s mom. She realized she would be all alone watching the game, everyone else was in different places. Initially she thought she would call someone to go watch the game but then decided it would be just fine to watch the game by herself, after all it would be a nail biter and she didn’t want to miss any part of the game. As her luck would have it Sam, Zach, and Mr. Summer came home because they didn’t want her to be alone. She didn’t want to hurt their feelings so she acted like she was happy they were home but still wanting to concentrate on every single play of the game. She has become quite a football fan, a serious one!!

It was clear in the first half of the game the Eagles were struggling. Sam’s mom was nervous, helping the coaches and referees make better calls. I never saw a lady talk so much to the TV especially during a football game! It was clear this woman was a die hard football fan. It made sense to me that she would want to be alone, no distractions. Unfortunately the Summer household is not where you want to be if you don’t want any distractions. As we were watching the games, Zachary was operating a new remote controlled car that was zipping across the floor making revving engine noises..talk about distracting! Then Sam bought a new Nerf Ball machine gun and was firing multiple pellets across the room. Mrs. Summer does not usually tolerate this behavior but last night she just acted like they weren’t there. I guess that’s how you have to be sometimes in an utterly chaotic household.

I watched a lot of craziness during my week stay at the Summer house, but one thing rang out loud and clear. There’s lots of love and laughter in the house. Mistakes are made but God is honored and grace is extended.

Thanks for letting me share,

“Fluffy”

No comments: