Monday, June 2, 2008

Healthy Bones

I guess God knew I needed a laugh because the last few days of my life have been utterly comical! It started on Wednesday. I was headed to play a USTA match. For us tennis lovers this is what it’s all about, the USTA season. It’s as competitive as tennis gets for us moms. I play at the 3.5 level which means we know how to rally and actually look athletic sometimes (HA!) I showed up on the court a little frazzled, I didn’t feel quite right, down right jittery. Was it the cough medicine with codeine I took the night before? Maybe it was the stressful conversation I had with my husband as I was walking on the court about the doctor recommending changing our daughter’s medication for a bone infection. What ever it was I was determined to set it all aside and play the game I love. My season had been going well and I was sure my partner and I had a win coming on. As I went to spin to decide who would serve first I realized I was not holding my racquet! Thoughts rushed through my head wondering whose racquet I had and where was mine? Of course I acted like it was no big deal. We started playing and doing fine. Then very shortly into the match the other team came on and my partner and I started to look like we never played the game before! What was happening?? Needless to say we did not win. I refuse to make excuses for my poor playing. On the way home I found my racquet. My friend had picked it up and I had hers. When my racquet arrived home my dog ate it. Now what do I do? That was my only racquet that I’ve been playing with for two years! No one changes racquets mid season!!

After fretting over my racquet I had to forget about it because, well, life is too busy to worry about a racquet!! The next day I had a minor procedure done on my mouth and I looked (and still do) like someone punched me in the face. Yes, bruised and swollen! I played tennis again and when I missed the ball my partner asked me if it was because my mouth got in the way!!

Finally Friday came and it was time to go out for a bite to eat. Steve worked late every night so getting out was a real blessing with my mom and dad. We were waiting for our food to come and one of my sons got both arms stuck in the back of a slatted chair. No problem, I was sure we could get him out. Finally after the whole section of the restaurant was standing, watching, and trying to help the manager had to cut and ruin the chair to get Zachary out! The manager told us he had been working at the restaurant for fourteen years and never saw anything like that!!

So, in two days I lost my racquet, embarrassed myself on the court, found my racquet, the dog ate my racquet, had a mouth that looks like Daffy Duck and a son who needed the restaurant’s “jaws of life” to cut him out of a chair! “Laughter brings health to the bones!” My bones must be pretty healthy right now!!

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: