Friday, June 6, 2008

Unexpected Blessing

Our tennis team was undefeated. There was another team also undefeated but our record was better! It came time for the two teams to meet to determine who would go on to the district tournament. Our captain waited until the week of the match to put out the line-up. I was sure I would not be in--I thought others should and would play. When I found out I was playing, I started to tremble. What if I lose? What if I can’t serve? What if the opponents aren’t nice? WHAT IF I CAN’T HIT THE BALL?? Then a calm came over me and excitement began to build...after all, this is the game I love!! Having to prepare for the match was a blessing because my daughter was scheduled to have surgery the day after the match. Focusing on a little yellow ball would be wonderful therapy for me!!

The day came and I was so excited to play! I had confidence in my game. I was sure my team would take enough courts to win the match. I was hoped and prayed I could contribute to the win. My three prayers were that I would play well, serve well, and that my opponents would not question my line calls (that unnerves me!). My partner and I faced two ladies I knew well. From the get-go the match was a delight and the tennis was as it should be-competitive and good sportsmanship. That said, we all wanted to win the match! My partner and I won the first set, while they took the second. During the break before the final and determining set, I was in the bathroom. One of my opponents/friend was in the bathroom, too, and she asked how my family was. I asked her to keep Emeline in her prayers since her surgery was the next day. What happened next blew me away...my friend said “let’s pray for her right now.” She grabbed my hands and the two of us bowed our heads and prayed for my daughter. There we were, two opponents in the middle of an intense match which would determine who would advance to Districts, and we were praying in the locker room!! WOW!!

My partner and I did not win the match, nor did my team win. To say we felt disappointed and devastated would be an understatement. It’s easy to be a “Monday Morning Quarterback” and try to figure out how things could have been different. I think we do that because we need something to do and think about as we “lick our wounds.”

But for me, the unexpected blessing in the ladies locker room reminded me that we have a God who cares, and although we were there to win a tennis match, God has so many ways to bless us. Years from now as I look back on this sometimes-maddening game of tennis, the time I prayed during a split set with my opponent will be a highlight in my memories. God did much more then answer my three prayers. He reminded me through my friend there is never an inappropriate time to call on His name!

“The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him; He hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145: 18-19

Sweet Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Debbie,

I forwarded this blog to your opponent/friend. She needs to know how something so simple may, and probably will, touch so many lives in a positive way. My hope is that she will forward it on. I admire her for what she did, as I know you do.

Many people TALK a great game, she PLAYED a great game. And I don't mean tennis.


Love, Joanne