Thursday, June 26, 2008

Eat My Bubbles!


“I said a Boom Chicka Boom……..!” screams the LMT Crocodiles (Crocs) as they begin their 2008 swim season. One hundred and fifty strong, this team can rock (and swim)!!!

There’s just something that pumps me up about the swim team. Is it the warm weather? The people? Feeling “official” with a timer strung around my neck? Having water splashed on me as the big kids dive in? Seeing my kid’s faces as they race down their lane? Having them “beat” their record? ALL OF THE ABOVE!!

I love the community where I live. I have had the privilege of getting to know so many interesting and delightful friends through tennis and a local bible church. Many of those friendly faces show up when we gather twice a week to cheer our favorite Crocs on to victory!

As a parent, we are required to work the meets, five at the least. Of course I want to work every meet, I love being right there in the middle of the organized chaos when the Ready Bench people can’t fine a child (usually one of mine), or being a Timer in a lane when it is someone’s very fist race and they’re so nervous (little five year old Caitlyn tonight). The best is when a swimmer is clearly struggling to finish in their lane, we gather around (doesn't matter what team) and scream our heads off to cheer them on to finish, “PULL”!!!

The jobs I like to do at the meets are “Timer” and “Placement Judge”. The Timer is assigned a lane and records each swimmer's individual time. The Placement Judge actually determines the placement of the swimmer, first, second, third……place. There are many other jobs, and it is interesting to see the same people doing the same type of jobs. There is one job you couldn’t pay me to do. It is called the “Mouse House”. This parent is responsible for watching (babysitting) the younger kids when they are not swimming. Talk about CHAOS!! Yet, I see the same parents volunteering for the position. They have patience of saints.

In the bible it talks about the body of Christ, how each of us has a job to do. When we know and walk with the Lord He gives us certain gifts to be used to glorify Him. When you think about our bodies, it’s a good thing the elbow doesn’t want to be a knee, or an eye a nose! “For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office” Romans 12:4. The verse sounds formal but it is basically saying if you have the gift of “Timing” then time and don’t try and be a “Mouse House” parent (thank the Lord!) A little paraphrasing there but I think you get the point!

“………LMT all the way!”

Go CROCS!!

Sweet bubble dreams,

Debbie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Debbie,

Loved the picture of Emmeline. It reminds me of Genna and Gabi in swimteam at Crescent Pool in Abington. Genna is still swimming albeit in waterpolo and she is teaching collegiate waterpolo at BU. The seeds are planted and they GROW.

Runner Mom said...

Hey, girl!

Got to your post thru Kelli's! Awesome blog!!! We had swim team last night as well--usually we have swim meets on Thursday, but with the 4th, they changed it!

My youngest, Jacob, swam IM and 100free--along with back and the relays. He was at camp last week, so he put in zilcho practice time! I was a little concerned!

He began the IM strong--I waited for the tiredness to settle in on the third lap. It didn't! Girl, he came in first!! A blue ribbon-woohoo! He even came in 2nd in long free and back. He really had a great night. Sometimes, you're on and other times, you're not! I feel that way in my quiet times as well! Some days, I'm right on track with Him and other days, it's all about me!!!

I hope that you have a wonderful day! Miss you!
Love ya!
Susan