Thursday, May 22, 2008

Follow The Yellow Brick Road


Several months ago my brother Glenn asked my daughter to come be a Munchkin in the Wizard of Oz, the show his Intermediate school was performing. As the Director I guess he was allowed to do that, just ask his niece to fly in and be in two of the performances! For anyone knowing Emeline it’s no surprise she was initially a little disappointed that she couldn’t be Dorothy but quickly realized she would be thankful for whatever she was asked to do. We all practiced the parts and sang the songs with her as she was preparing for the big show. Finally it came time to make the long trip to Dallas and meet cousins and aunts to travel along with us.

Going down south is always such a treat for us North East people. I thought using the term “Honky Tonk Town” was disrespectful but there are actually towns down there who pride themselves with that reputation!! In one of the towns everyone came out to see a Cattle Drive at 4:00 PM. Now that’s something we don’t see everyday up north! The food from what I could tell is either fried or barbecued. I was determined to enjoy the local food so fried okra, fried pickles, fried broccoli and lots of barbecue beef were included in my diet. I’m a little concerned about everyone’s cholesterol down there but they all seem fine and healthy!

As we arrived in Hillsboro for the show we went right to the school to meet my brother and his staff. The first friendly gal to greet us was Katie who was going to be the Lion in the show. Little did we know that Katie would steal the show! What personality and talent this young girl had and a whit that caused the audience to fall in love with her. Of course Dorothy was great but everyone knows Dorothy will be wonderful because she’s the star of the show!! She had one of the sweetest faces I’ve ever seen.

As the director my brother would only look as good as the people working for him. His Co-Director/Choreographer Judy was the one really running the show. She was a no nonsense kind of lady. You couldn’t help but be utterly impressed with her ability to delegate, multi task, and keep her eye out for anything not going quite right. While I was back stage I asked if she needed help painting circles on the Munchkins faces. She hesitated, not sure whether I looked capable to handle that job! When she reluctantly said yes I prayed I would not mess up!! She was a woman I wish I could have spent more time getting to know, quite a well accomplished lady!!

Finally came the show, I watched it twice it was amazing!! As one would expect it didn’t come off without a few forgetting their lines, falling down on the stage, or the curtains opening and closing at the wrong time. As I sat in the audience it occurred to me the trip to see the Wizard and all the hardships along the way represent so many of our lives (too bad they didn’t have a GPS!). It wasn’t that the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion were lacking, they just couldn’t see beyond the “Thorn in their side” All the Wizard did was show them they could overcome what they thought they lacked in their lives. That’s what God wants to do for us. Poor Dorothy had powers the whole time to take her back to Kansas but didn’t know it. How often are we looking over the rainbow for something better and yet all along our answers are so close? How often do we take matters into our own hands and not allow God to navigate our lives through prayer and devotion to Him? It says in Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” I pray my Yellow brick Road is guided and directed by the best Navigator in the world!!

Thanks Uncle Glenn, you ROCK!! Love, Emeline

Sweet Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: