Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Can I Write?

My friend Kelli asked me several months ago to join her on a trip down south to a Speaker/Writer conference called She Speaks. Believing she has a true gift of writing and wanting to support my friend I said yes. Since then I have started blogging. For many years close family and friends have encouraged me to write a book. They think my life is hysterical and crazy, things unfold on a daily basis. Blogging (a daily journal) seemed like a good fit for me. My “on-line journal” has been a fun, light hearted, therapeutic outlet.

As the trip came closer I started to have reservations about the whole thing. “I’m not a writer!”, “I don’t want to campaign for myself!”, “Charlotte is too far!”, “I don’t want to leave my family!” The one thing I was looking forward to was being with Kelli and supporting her, after all that is what I committed to do! Like two swinging singles, when we arrived in North Carolina we rented a convertible sports car to zip around town!

I wasn’t expecting any life changing revelations at the conference, just confirmation that I was on the right path. “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs His steps”. Proverbs 16:9. It was interesting to watch many different ladies from all over the country pursue a calling they have to serve the Lord their God with all their heart through writing or speaking. Kelli and I agreed the “speaker” ladies were more dressed up then the “writing” ladies!

I felt like I was on the outside looking in most of the time, knowing well I don't have much "Debbie" time to persue writing. My time is limited with my children and family and I believe that is where I need and want to focus my energy. Early in the conference I listened to one of the speakers encouraging us to accept our LOT in life. In that moment I realized I was quite content with my lot. That doesn’t mean my life is easy, sometimes it’s hard, but I’m thankful for my lot, for the many blessings I have in life.

Someday God may move me in a direction to write a book (actually I would love to write a children’s book). For now I’m thrilled with my blog as a journal to give my children someday. I’ll continue to learn more as I can about writing, and see where God takes me on this journey!! For now, I have confirmation I’m on the right path!

Blessings,

Debbie

3 comments:

Lisa B @ simply His said...

Hey Debbie,

I don't think we officially met, but I talked with Kelli (I'm the Harley girl). I wanted to thank you for coming and supporting Kelli. It was a pleasure to meet her, and I know she may have been tempted to *not* come if she didn't have a friend supporting her.

I'll be looking for God to do great things in both of your lives :)

KelliGirl said...

Hi Deb,
I am SO thankful you came with me! We were just too cool in our ragtop.

While God may not have it in your plans write a book or speak (yet!), you have so many gifts that you freely share. By listening, encouraging, mothering, loving and guiding you shine God's light on all around you.

Have fun at COTW. I'll miss you.

Robin ~ PENSIEVE said...

Hey Debbie,

I don't think we met, either, but how PRECIOUS you went with Kelli...what a loyal friend.

I'm contacting bloggers from SheSpeaks to let them know about a writing opportunity; I can't find your email addy, so if you're interested, please drop me a line :).

Robin
pensieve(dot)love(at)gmail(dot)com
http://pensieve.typepad.com/pensieve/