Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Shopping With Steve

Blocking the whole day off the calendar isn’t easy for any mom to do but weeks ago Steve and I decided to go shopping. Well, actually I begged Steve to go with me and he said “yes!” I had certificates to a very exclusive women’s store and I honestly felt ridiculous going! I never bought clothes from the store before and I didn’t particularly care for their style but assured myself I would find something.

Having a degree in Textile Technology with a minor in Apparel I definitely like the finer things when it comes to clothes and fabric but I have never been a full price retail shopper. My favorite stores have always been TJ Maxx and Marshall’s. That doesn’t mean you’ll never see me in Ann Taylor or Nordstrom, but only at the “sale” racks.

Today was no different. Even with certificates I still went for the clearance racks which were still quite expensive for my pocket book. Having my husband there felt awkward at first but then it was a fun experience. It reminded me how much fun Steve and I have together when it’s just us, nobody pulling at us or schedules to keep. We’re both calm.

I appreciated my husband taking time to spend with me. I know that is the reason he agreed to come with me, not because he likes to go clothes shopping, in fact it is probably one of the least favorite things for him to do. Yet, he took the whole day from work to be with me. He’s usually a fixer (likes to fix me) and he didn’t try to do that once today!

Our time is the most valuable gift we can give anyone. I constantly struggle with time management, often feeling guilty I am failing miserably. There are so many I care about in my life I can’t find enough hours to show them. So what do I do? I have to prioritize my family first and then everyone else, period.

Today Steve was a selfless example of just that 

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: