Thursday, February 5, 2009

Train Up A Child

Having three children means three birthdays to celebrate. Two summer birthdays and one winter birthday. Summertime is fun and it doesn’t take much to get a group together whether it be at the pool, beach, park, or in your back yard, it’s bound to be fun. Over the last few years I keep telling my children “No more big birthday parties!” Yet as each special date rolls around I find myself planning a party.

Sam’s birthday is the winter date. February is a cold month in the Northeast yet a fun time to get out and do something different! Yesterday we went on a journey with thirteen kids to celebrate Sam's eighth birthday. Our first stop was to play games at a Sports Zone, then onto a Lego Store where the guests built their own Lego project.

Spending six hours with all boys and one sweet girl delighted my heart. Sure, they had their moments but what impressed me about this group was the diverse personalities and how they behaved when their parents were not there. I loved hearing about their favorite authors, subjects, sports, and then more sports! I watched them make good choices and encourage one another. I noticed some giving tickets to others they had won playing video games. Prizes were shared without me saying a word. When a large group of them broke away running from the adults at the mall, there were the ones encouraging them to come back and stay with the adults. Of course me screaming at the top of my lungs got their attention as well!

They all spoke their mind in a respectful way. One boy wanted to speak to the manager of the Lego Store to tell him what a great job our party person “Tripp” was doing. So thoughtful!

Eating pizza and cake was the last stop and event of the evening. Only after their bellies were full and numerous cups of sprite and lemonade were consumed did many (including my Sam) start “bouncing off the walls”. Let’s just say the restaurant was happy to see us leave!

Most everyone would think we were crazy for taking this journey. We could have had a skating party for an hour and be done with it. The kids had a blast and would have also had a good time skating. The blessing was all mine. We threw a party but got so much in return. Our hearts were blessed by each and every friend of Sam’s last night. They all represented Christ in many ways, and their parents should be proud of them.

“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6

Of course I forgot my camera. My friend Denise took pictures with her phone but she doesn’t know how to down load them on her computer. I won’t hold my breath waiting for them. They’ll be a pleasant surprise if they come.

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: