Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy V-Day!

Valentine’s Day is a time to reflect on all the special people in our lives.

I love and appreciate my parents. They have taught me so much about life. The good, the bad, and the ugly, my life has been molded and shaped by their example. They are my dearest and best friends. My mom especially has taught me unconditional love for which I am eternally grateful.

The word “Humility” comes to mind when I think of those special girlfriends in my life. I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling so blessed to have a core group of women who know me so well, have for years, and love me just the way I am. They encourage me in the Lord without judging me. Days, weeks, months can go by without talking to some of them yet when we re-connect, the bond of friendship grows stronger!

Having children introduced a whole new meaning of the word “Love” to my vocabulary. I heard of this love but until you experience it you can’t understand it. To experience this Maternal Love three times has been the greatest joy of my life. Babies are miracles and I am amazed that God saw fit to allow me the honor of loving and caring for Emeline, Samuel, and Zachary. Every day my love grows deeper. There is no limit….it just keeps coming! When they hurt, I hurt. When they laugh, I laugh. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for them and they know it. They know their momma is absolutely crazy about each one of them!!

On Valentine’s Day of course we should acknowledge all those we love, but the day is really for that “Special Person”. You know the one we want to snuggle with, hold their hand, the one we want to romance and who we want to romance us!

Steve and I have always celebrated Valentines’ Day by going out to a special restaurant, flowers, maybe a movie, and dot…dot…dot..!

Yesterday was different. After three basketball games and cleaning our house we were pooped. We forgot to think about going out and when we did it was too late. Instead of us being alone we added a child to the mix (four total)! There were lots of chocolates, cards, and flowers to enjoy.

After the kids went to bed Steve and I were scheduled to have an in-house date night, just us two. We lit candles and turned on an adult (not Disney) movie. Within the first five minutes of the movie Steve started to snore! I can’t blame him, we were watching a chick flick (Momma Mia) which is painful for him to watch.

As much as we try, these days are difficult to try and keep the romance alive. Somehow I know we are not alone. Will we keep trying? Sure…but we’re also well aware that there are times in life when you just need to keep on keeping on. We’re in that phase right now. I know we’ll eventually get back to where we need to be…as for now, we’ll settle for whatever special time we can get, even if it’s just five minutes before Steve falls asleep and starts snoring!!

The Bible talks so much about love. There are so many verses in the Bible encouraging us to love one another. My favorite is:

“Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

May we know the depth and width of Christ’s love in our lives!

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: