Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Dream Home?

Sometimes I hear women speak of their Dream Home. A few already live in their Dream Home, others wish they did. This concept doesn’t feel right for me, I live in a home that is more then just fine, and it’s lovely. Eight years ago we bought our house, practically stole the house for under market value. My husband and his crew gutted the house transforming the insides miraculously!

Five years ago we had an extravagant landscape project done that was the talk of the neighborhood. It was magnificent! Whenever I drove up to the house I stood in awe of the beautiful flowers, trees, and shrubbery.

Eight years later the house looks very different. Three active children, a dog, bunny, and bird have all contributed to the toll taken on the inside of the house. The once white carpets are grey and dirty. The once beautiful hardwood floor needs to be resurfaced. The family room furniture is shot. I have holes in the walls and ceilings from various mishaps.

The outside of the house has also changed. The once beautiful landscape is almost completely gone. So much has died off. The side of the house is turning green needing a good power washing. I often want to call my neighbor and apologize they have to look at it everyday!

Of course like any women I’m more critical of my own house then most would be. Many would not notice the things I do. I try to be patient knowing we cannot afford to do much financially at this point so I do the best I can keeping it looking as nice as possible. If I dream at all it is about how nice the house will look when things can be taken care of, not a new and bigger house!

Today I pounded the pavement with Emeline selling Girl Scout cookies. This was our second attempt. Yesterday I drove the neighborhood as she walked. Today Emeline wanted me to walk with her so I did. I kept a low profile as my nine year old daughter went house-to-house and introduced herself asking if the owner would like to buy cookies. I was enjoying the beautiful day and the walk with my daughter. I was thankful most people were kind to Emeline whether they bought cookies or not.

As we walked further away from our home I did not know the people. Emeline walked up to a house, and a woman answered the door. I couldn’t hear what they were saying but the two were engaged in a conversation. After the woman purchased cookies from Emeline she turned to me and started shouting a story. I had never seen this woman before but she somehow knew where we lived and our last name. This distant neighbor was excited to meet the people who lived down the street on the corner. She told me a story another friend of her’s told her. This friend of hers told her whenever the family drives by our house her kids call our home “The Dream Home”. When the mom asked them why they said, “Because they have a great dog, they put a big sheet up in the summer time for outside movies, they have a zip line, the mom and dad are really nice, the kids are out laughing and having a good time, and they just look like a family that has so much fun together! We want to live in a house like that!” As this woman was speaking the tears started rolling down my face. I was glad I had sunglasses on so she couldn’t see me. I thanked her for sharing that story with me. I was a little shocked and embarrassed, and didn’t have much to say.

As I walked away the tears did not stop. Emeline was ahead of me onto her next sale. I took a deep breath, looked up in the beautiful blue sunny sky and thanked the Lord for blessing me and reminding me what life is all about. Our house stood out not for the work that needed to be done but for the crazy people in it!

“As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Deb,
First of all, I love your house too! What a wonderful story. I am so glad you got to view your house and family through this woman's eyes. It's amazing how our perceptions can get all distorted when we start to focus on what we lack or need to "fix." Isn't God creative in sending us the message we need to hear?

P.S. Happy blog anniversary to you!!

Love you,
Kelli