Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New Mercies

Yesterday was a rough day with the kids. It started out fine yet by mid afternoon we were spiraling down rather quickly. Once the kids came home from school it was utterly chaotic getting homework done, reviewing and absorbing three report cards, refereeing sibling rivalry fights, studying for a Science test that makes no sense to my seven year old (or me!), delivering girl scout cookies, making dinner, looking forward to my husband coming home to help me only to realize he forgot to tell me he wasn’t coming home! I wanted to call Nanny 911! By 6:30 PM I was quick tempered and intolerant.

My children started throwing comments at me I use on them like “Are you getting enough sleep?” “How are you with God?” “Could you be nicer?” “Let’s pray.” “Do you have a heart issue?” These comments were not making me feel any better at the time in fact they were making me feel horrible. I knew they were right to all the above!!

I apologized to them and prayed with them at bedtime explaining to them I’m a sinner just like them and I need Jesus too! Still, I felt horrible…I replayed the afternoon and all the ways I could have done or said something different. I also knew that I DID need a good nights sleep so I made that a priority, jumped in bed and read my Bible, a chapter in Proverbs. I knew to stay away from the Proverbs 31 woman chapter, she would make me feel worse!! My children were certainlly not rising up and calling me blessed!

Today, when the alarm went off and I opened my eyes the Lord whispered in my ear “My mercies are new every morning….” I looked outside and could see the sun rising, it was beautiful. I had an overwhelming sense of peace and thankfulness in my heart to have a God who loves me even when I fail, and extends mercy and grace in abundance.

Today was a much better day. My children commented and thanked me for being nicer. I told them it was God who helped me and always helps me! No Nanny 911 for me today!

“Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not, they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Deb,
I thank God His mercies are new every morning. How would we get by if they weren't! (Now you have me singing "Great is Thy Faithfulness" in my head.)

"All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto thee."

I'm praying for smooth sailing for you this evening.

Love you,
Kelli