Monday, November 10, 2008

Good Bye Charlie


While away I received the dreaded call of a child crying. It was a voice message from Sam. Charlie, his pet parakeet just died. To hear the voice of my son try to compose himself while his heart was breaking was precious. In the message Sam went on and on about what a great bird Charlie was and sad that he is no longer amongst the living. Sam then prayed on my voicemail thanking God for the opportunity to have such a special bird. “Thank you Lord for Charlie, he was a great bird, and I will miss him very much. Even though I have asked for a kayak for Christmas, it would be nice if I can get a new bird too! In your name I pray…amen”

Once I heard the message I immediately called Sam and we cried together as we talked about all the fun times with Charlie and how I use to scream when he got out of his cage and fly all over the house. I told Sam I would miss Charlie keeping me company during the day. He use to chirp away as Ice (our dog) would stand there hoping he would fall out of his cage so he could eat him for lunch!

Since I was away Sam did not want to bury Charlie and he also wanted his mom mom and pop pop to come pay their last respects. For two weeks now Charlie has been in the freezer in a zip lock bag waiting for a funeral. We forgot to bury him last week and almost let this past weekend go by without the funeral. If it wasn’t for us moms, none of these momentous occasions would happen!

Saturday night Sam wrote out the funeral arrangements and a song for Charlie. It was to include our family singing, Steve playing the guitar, and Emeline playing the clarinet. Since the song “Ode to joy” is the only song Emeline knows, that was the tune for the song.

Yesterday Charlie went to his final resting place. Initially Sam wanted to build a nest for Charlie and put him in a tree. I said, “Absolutely, not, at some point he’ll fall out and the dog will eat him!” Charlie deserved better then that.

We all said our good-byes and buried the beloved bird right next to Emeline’s bunny Firball and our dog Jake. We’ve got quite the cemetery going on in our back yard!

Having pets has taught our kids great lessons from responsibility to dealing with the loss of something they love dearly. It was a precious moment as a family to gather around a tiny hole in the ground to pay honor and respect for one of God’s creatures that even He cares for.

“Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from the Father’s will”. Matthew 10:29. God is aware of everything that happens, even Charlie dying! How much more does He know and care about our well being!

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

maestro said...

Tell your beautiful daughter that Uncle Glenn is looking forward to a clarinet recital next month. I would like to hear:

Jingle Bells
Good King Wenceslas
Ode to Joy

I would suggest that Sam play the saxophone and Zachary play the drums! I know that is a few years down the road, but it will be worth the watit!!!