Saturday, January 23, 2010

Oh The Pain!

Did you ever wonder why we experience so much pain? Whether it’s physical or emotional it’s overwhelming when it consumes you. This last year has been a year of physical pain. First I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in my hands which seemed terrible yet five months later after a scare with possible cancer I was diagnosed with fifteen kidney stones OUCH! In addition my cholesterol is high and needs attention. The latest ailment came this week, I woke up one day with pain in my neck. Since I was already seeing a physical therapist for my tennis elbow (just a side bar) I decided to go for my neck. It was determined I aggravated a muscle in my shoulder that was radiating the pain to the neck. As the week went on it became increasingly worse to the point it affected my swallowing and breathing. Finally the doctor ordered an X-ray. My biggest fear would be a diagnosis of arthritis, that seemed unbearable and why would God allow that to happen to this very active already “medically challenged” mom of three WHO LOVES TO PLAY TENNIS? Somehow I knew what the diagnosis would be before it came. It’s the things in life we say “Absolutely Not!” that God seems to challenge us on.

How did I know? God was preparing my heart. As I made desperate calls to a few close friends asking them to specifically pray this was not arthritis I also spent time in prayer and reading the Bible. “He remembered us when we were in trouble, His love continues forever.” Psalm 136:23

A devotional I read from Max Lucado yesterday included this paragraph “When God doesn’t do what we want, it’s not easy. Never has been, never will be. But faith is the conviction that God knows more than we do about this life and He will get us through it.” Somehow I knew after reading yesterday the news wasn’t going to be good but I knew it would be o.k. because God would walk with me and take care of me.

Our disappointments in life don’t have to keep us down. With God’s help we learn how to manage them and use them to bring honor and glory to His name. We learn to lean on Him when we have pain whether it is physical or emotional. It also makes us more compassionate to others that are hurting.

I once heard someone say “When you’re fifty you can go to sleep fine and wake up with any injury.” I’m not quite there but very close and I can tell you the statement is true.

“Those who are sad now are happy, because God will comfort them. Those who want to do right more than anything else are happy, because God will fully satisfy them.” Matthew 5:4,6

By the grace of God today I choose joy.

Grace and blessings,

Debbie

No comments: