Sunday, August 9, 2009

An Unexpected Birthday Surprise




















“Daddy Help!” “Hold onto the pole!” “Ouch, Daddy Help!” “Grab the pole!” “Run Emeline, RUN!”

For Emeline’s tenth birthday she chose to spend the afternoon turtle hunting. This is Emeline’s favorite form of entertainment and passion as she enters the “tween” years. This sport is not for the thrill seekers or those demanding instant gratification. Turtle hunting can rank right up there with watching paint dry!

Knowing how much Emeline loves to find and catch turtles we all set out to support our favorite ten year old. We live close to a canal where creatures such as snakes, frogs, minnows, crayfish and others live. The rangers know us as well as frequent canal goers!

Walking on the canal is quite peaceful and tranquil I must admit. Once I start walking I get lost in God’s creation and am keenly aware of all the little creative ways God shows us just how wonderful and majestic He is. Today was no different. I was several steps ahead of Steve and the kids with my eyes fixed on the canal determined to find a small turtle to help Emeline. That is when I heard all the commotion behind me. Emeline was screaming, Steve was trying to get her out of the canal. They were obviously in some sort of trouble but I couldn’t tell what.

Emleine had stepped on a bee’s nest and they came at her and Steve with a vengeance. Emeline looked like she was doing the 50 yard dash and screaming her head off when I realized what was happening. They bit her twice on the face, on the back, and on her finger. OUCH!!!!

Would she continue or want to go home and have a good cry? We kept going, a lesson was learned…always check the brush near the water for bee’s nests before plunging into the canal. It’s actually a good life lesson. There are often times in my own life when I’ve got my eyes set on a goal I want to accomplish and I don’t see the “CAUTION” sign in front of me.UGH!

The beauty of our day was when Emeline caught her little turtle she set out for. It was God’s birthday gift to her, and we thank HIM for it!

“A wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel.” Proverbs 1:5

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMELINE, WE LOVE YOU!!!

Debbie

No comments: