Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It’s been over a month of running to the doctor’s, having tests and procedures to determine just what is causing some health problems. As it turns out there are several areas of concern requiring an immediate diagnosis. Today was a surgical procedure to have a good look at my bladder. Having been in the operating room before I assumed I would be sedated and wake up when it was all over. I was concerned when the hospital called yesterday to inform me of the arrival time and did not give me instructions for fasting. Everyone knows you need to fast before anesthesia! What were they thinking, was I going to be awake for all this?

Sure enough I was scheduled for a local anesthesia. After all the prep and signing my life away I was ushered back to the OR. Although all the equipment was impressive I was not looking forward to what was about to happen, there were TVs everywhere and I was informed I could watch the doctor do the procedure and see my bladder. “See my bladder? Can’t I just watch Good Morning America?” I couldn’t imagine who on earth would want to see their bladder! My personal nurse Greg, the person who would coach me through this procedure looked like he just came from the beach on his motorcycle.

One of the very best doctor’s in the country happened to be doing my surgery (thank you Lord). I knew I was in good hands.

Once the procedure started as expected I did not do well. I’m not sure what they gave me but it didn’t feel like anything was numb enough for anyone to be poking around! Trying to distract me Greg was helping me breath like I did during three natural childbirths. Fortunately Greg was big and strong because he had to physically hold me down or I would have jumped off the table. Thankfully, with the help of Greg and prayer, I/we made it through.

Although I’m not completely out of the woods today was a very good day, the doctor saw no cancer and no need to biopsy the area (that’s a good thing). Tomorrow is another procedure. Prayers are appreciated and welcomed.

Having to go through a time of such uncertainty really changes your/my perspective on things. It’s tough to think of what could be down the road but it forces you to come to terms with the sovereignty of God. Not easy, but necessary. I must daily make a choice whether I will worry and fret or whether I will commit my day to God and enjoy the day He has given me, just one day at a time. Our days are numbered, none of us know how long we will be here. I did not want to waste the month of August fretting about something that may or may not happen and miss the time with my kids and husband.

It is in the hard times that special friends step up to pray, and encourage. I thank God for all those people in my life, they know who they are.

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God: and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

Sweet dreams and blessings,

Debbie

No comments: