Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Girl's Day Out




















For Emeline’s 10th birthday this year we decided in lieu of a big party to do a few different activities with smaller groups. Today was a tea date for Emeline and her girlfriend. They are both turning ten within a few weeks of each other and are new friends. I pray long and hard for Emeline’s relationships, a mother’s heart is delighted to see a beautiful friendship blossom.

Watching Emeline get dressed and style her hair was entertaining to say the least. My once “Frilly” girl turned “Tom boy” winced as she put her peach dress on realizing that she had no dressy shoes. No problem, we just tapped into the “give away” bin for anything that would come close to her shoe size and look fancy. Once the dress was on I was advised it was too itchy, what would we do? At her mother’s request she wore it anyway. The date started off with an itchy dress and shoes that didn’t quite fit. Her hair wouldn’t stay curled, but none of this stopped Emeline from looking forward to her date for tea.

Once we picked up Annaleisa I couldn’t help but chuckle to hear the same challenges. “My hair won’t stay curled”, “my shoes are killing me”, were some of her comments, just like Emeline. Two adorable girls all dressed up and their feet were killing them! I told them they only had to wear the killer shoes into the restaurant and then they could take them off, that made them happy.

When we arrived at the tea house I had a table reserved just for them. What a joy to watch the girls act all grown up and enjoy one another. The shoes and sore feet remained an ongoing issue but we all laughed and the girls couldn’t wait to put their flip flops and crocs on to make their feet happy once again.

As a mom I pray often for Emeline’s friendships. This is the age where their bodies start changing along with their emotions. I often encourage her to know what the bible says about friendships (choose your friends wisely) and how to treat others. My heart is blessed to see God bring such a sweet friend along side Emeline. Annaleisa has blessed Emeline and our family and we are grateful for that.

“Iron sharpens iron: so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17

Sweet Dreams,

Debbie

No comments: