Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Mommy, Why Do You Have Salad All Over Your Back?"

I was on my way home from after a long day and got a call from Emeline, “Mommy when will you be home?” “Soon” was my reply. “Oh good”, she said, “I have something special for you!” I was secretly hoping it was a large piece of chocolate! When I arrived home, Emeline immediately called me to my bedroom. On my bedroom floor were towels nicely laid with a pillow at the top. It was my guess that I was to lay down and get a massage. Emeline confirmed this was indeed the plan. Since I was freezing from being out in the cold, I was hoping to just crawl into my snuggly PJ’s. There was a bowl next to the towels with what looked like spinach dip in it. Emeline assured me it was not spinach dip, but a special lotion she made just for me for my back massage. In my head I kept hearing the words “Be still Debbie and let your daughter bless you.” The next thing I felt were freezing cold-hands on my back as she slapped her special concoction on me. I was desperately trying to enjoy this very kind act by my daughter. As I fought back “Goose bumps” and thoughts of wanting it to be over soon so I could take a warm shower, Zachary walked in and asked “Mommy, why do you have salad all over your back?” Now I was starting to get the giggles-but could not let on to Emeline! She confidently explained to Zachary that it was not a salad on my back but spearmint leaves and lotion! So... there I was, freezing cold, but trying to appreciate the thoughtfulness of my daughter. Tears came to my eyes as I realized how quickly time goes by with these little ones. They want to bless the ones they love! I pray we recognize those times when our kids are reaching out to us, that we would have patience and grace to bless their hearts as they want to please and bless us. May we see Christ through our children as we teach and learn from them! “Whoever receives one of these little children in My name receives me……..” Mark 9:37

May the grace of Jesus be with you!

Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

KelliGirl said...

Utterly Deb,
I am laughing over the scene you've painted...and getting goosebumps thinking about it! But your words hit a little too close to home. How often do I say, "Later," to my kids and let my schedule or practicalities get in the way of being "still" with them. Thank you for this funny story and precious reminder.

Love you,
Kelli Girl