Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bugged Out!!

Now that spring is here, all the bugs are out exploring and finding their way into my house!! I’m not much of a bug person, but with two boys and a girl (she especially likes bugs and creatures) I’ve developed more of a tolerance for them. First come the tiny ants into my kitchen in the beginning of April. Then the spiders come and show up mostly anywhere. This year the bees decided to build a nest in a bench right outside my front door, so every time the kids leave the front door open we have bees inside!! The carpenter ants are a concern when they arrive because they eat my house! They’ve been enjoying eating my house for two weeks now. Sure, we exterminate and do our best to get rid of these various pests, but there are some that just manage to weather the chemical storm and hang around. Maybe they like us!! We named one of the spiders in the family room “Albert.” You know what they say, once you give anything a name, it becomes part of the family!! It wasn’t my idea to name the spider, but now I can’t kill it!!

We all have our different ways of managing the “bug level.” Steve is the exterminator, so he is busy spraying the bugs to kill them. I either zap them with Windex, or walk around the house with a tissue to crush them. Emeline tapes the bugs down to whatever surface it is on, and then kills it! Sam feels bad for the bugs, calling them “God’s Creation”, and doesn’t think we should be hurting them at all! I thought it was an odd scene the other day when Sam’s toad needed bugs to eat, and my son came inside to catch the bugs!! To add to the confusion Sam needed help, so there I was chasing ants with Sam! As for Zachary, he just has nightmares about the bugs!!

Sam has also been studying bugs in school so I’ve learned more than I need to know about bugs. "Did you know that a Praying Mantis can spit?" and, "tarantula females eat the males if they don’t want to mate with them?” So, I’m feeling “Bugged Out”!

The one thing that does fascinate me is that God thinks highly of these little creatures, because He makes mention of them in scripture. “The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their food in the summer”. Proverbs 30:24. So, I guess we should have more respect for bugs, especially the ants. I just wish they were busy preparing their food in the summer by eating someone else’s house!!

HAPPY SPRING!!!!

Blessings,

Debbie

No comments: